Unanswered: Calculations with a recordset

Hello,

Am pulling a recordset from MySQL with VBA using ADO 2.6 into Excel. I need to do some calculations with the data in the recordset and would rather not dump it into the spreadsheet to do them

Essentially, i just need to calcualte the Mean and the number of entries for each column in the recordset.

I have tried from several different angles so far; the best I have come up with is to use the rs.name value and loop through the column names, assigning the value of a AVG query in SQL to a new RS and saving that to the spreadsheet. It seems like this is going to create much more network traffic than is needed to get a simple calculation done, particularly since a couple of hundred folks will be using the spreadsheet.

Is there a way to do this directly from a recordset, or is there another way to go about this? I haven't been able to find anything that addresses this in any of the postings here, so I guess it may be impossible by means other than brute force....

Thanks for any suggestions / advice / direction.

mathsci

Re: Calculations with a recordset

What about doing the caluculations on the server itself directly in your query?

i.e. SELECT AVG(Column1), AVG(Column2) FROM Table1

Also try this control:

http://www.geocities.com/scirocco_ha/DataControl.htm

Originally posted by mathsci
    Hello,

Am pulling a recordset from MySQL with VBA using ADO 2.6 into Excel. I need to do some calculations with the data in the recordset and would rather not dump it into the spreadsheet to do them

Essentially, i just need to calcualte the Mean and the number of entries for each column in the recordset.

I have tried from several different angles so far; the best I have come up with is to use the rs.name value and loop through the column names, assigning the value of a AVG query in SQL to a new RS and saving that to the spreadsheet. It seems like this is going to create much more network traffic than is needed to get a simple calculation done, particularly since a couple of hundred folks will be using the spreadsheet.

Is there a way to do this directly from a recordset, or is there another way to go about this? I haven't been able to find anything that addresses this in any of the postings here, so I guess it may be impossible by means other than brute force....

Thanks for any suggestions / advice / direction.

mathsci