Unanswered: Watcom 4.x to Anywhere migration

The documentation says that Anywhere 9.x dbupgrad can be used against a Watcom db for upgrade.

I tried using Anywhere 7,8,9 but all of them are failing saying that database is invalid.

I have read somewhere that it has to be upgraded to 5.5 first. Is this true, if yes, is there any place I can get a Anywhere 5.5 version?

Thanks,
    Vishi

The SQL Any protocols changed from Watcom to SQL Any. So the migration path for you is certainly first to 5.5.05 and then upgrade to 6.0.x and then to ASA 9.0.

Your problem is, not only is the product that you are on End of Life'd, but so is the migration path.

Your best bet is Sybase Technical Support.

Thanks willy.

Luckily, I had a PB 5 CD and used the Anywhere 5.x which comes along with it.

a) upgraded the db to PB5
    b) UNLOADed DB
    c) CREATED a fresh Anywhere 9 DB
    d) RELOADED from scripts

Someone else will be doing the data checking. Just wanted to ask you if you foresee any issues (datatypes, data conversion etc) with the above approach.

Thanks,
    Vishi

Sorry to bother y'all again.

I was able to successfully migrate the DB using the UNLOAD and LOAD utilities. There were no errors.

But what is troubling me is the DB sizes.

The Watcom DB size was 200 MB and the Anywhere 9 database size is only around 110 MB.

Is it maybe because of better storage efficiency in Anywhere9 compared to Watcom DB? Just wanna check with the group to hear their comments before handing the db over to the client for testing.

Thanks,
    Vishi