Unanswered: How can I install two version of db2 in the same machine

Hi ,
    I am using db2v7.2 and aix 5.3, could you please let me know how can I install v5.2 and v8.1 on the same box without upgrading v7.2? do you now any document that I can reffer? thank you in advace for your help.

on AIX machines u can install another version of the OS using alternative disk installation, check smitty install

then u can boot from the alternate operating system, install another version of DB2

Notes:

1. u should have separte physical volume for this alt_disk_insalltation

2. u have to install some file sets on the original system like alt.disk.insatll.xxx

3. u can only boot from one version of AIX at a time

4. some Models of RS/6000 or eServers (H70 for example) can provide Virtual machine with different OS concurrently but i think this is not the case
    hany heggy,
    IBM certified Professional, AIX system support
    www.melodyhits.tv

Originally posted by hanyheggy
    on AIX machines u can install another version of the OS using alternative disk installation, check smitty install

then u can boot from the alternate operating system, install another version of DB2

Notes:

1. u should have separte physical volume for this alt_disk_insalltation

2. u have to install some file sets on the original system like alt.disk.insatll.xxx

3. u can only boot from one version of AIX at a time

4. some Models of RS/6000 or eServers (H70 for example) can provide Virtual machine with different OS concurrently but i think this is not the case
    Hi,
    Thank you for quick response ,
    WE have just on version of AIX (5.2),
    do you know any document ? I need more detail information.
    Thanks

1. check the installtion media for AIX 5L, search for alt_disk_insatll.boot_images, alt_disk_install.rte
    and install these file sets

2. smitty alt_install, u will find a menu to install another OS version on separte physical volume

check www.redbooks.ibm.com , search for AIX 5L certification guide, it contains step by step configuration

let me know what happened
    Last edited by hanyheggy; 02-08-04 at 08:45.
    hany heggy,
    IBM certified Professional, AIX system support
    www.melodyhits.tv

1. check the installtion media for AIX 5L, search for alt_disk_insatll.boot_images, alt_disk_install.rte

2. smitty alt_install, u will find a menu to install another OS version on separte physical volume

check www.redbooks.ibm.com , search for AIX 5L certification guide, it contains step by step configuration

Thank you hangyhegy,
    I will

Hi , I searched but I could not find the site, could you please tell me more detail about the sile or send me the PDF file.
    Thank you again

Hi,
    finally I found the site, but I am looking for how can I install diferent version of db2 in one box and one os,
    Thanks

http://www-306.ibm.com/cgi-bin/db2ww...x88.htm#HDRDMI

should give basic information ...

Also, please check the scripts db2rmln (remove links) and db2ln (create link) .. I hope I have spelt them right .. if you can find these scripts find all scripts with the letters ln and you should be able to identify the scripts ,,

HTH
    Sathyaram
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.