Unanswered: Apply Your Thought On Char To Int

HI FRIENDS,

IS THERE ANY PERFORMANCE IMPACT WHEN I USE "CHAR" AS A DATA TYPE INSTEAD OF USING "INT" FOR RETRIEVING DATA OR FOR SOME COMPLEX QUERY.

THANKS
    WITH BEST REGARDS,
    DHIRAJ

Yes - and the result may not be what you expect since char comparison are different from numeric comparisons - if in your example you are storing only numbers in a char field.
    If you do not have SQL Server Books Online (BOL) installed - please do so. The majority of questions asked in the SQL Server forum could be eliminated if people had access to bol. BOL

Originally posted by rnealejr
    Yes - and the result may not be what you expect since char comparison are different from numeric comparisons - if in your example you are storing only numbers in a char field.
    THANKS FOR YOUR KIND REPLY.
    I WANT TO STORE ONLY THE NUMBER IN DATABASE.
    IF I USE CHAR DATATYPE INSTEAD OF INT AND ALSO USE INDEX ON THAT FIELD.
    THEN WHAT HAPPEN.. IS THERE PERFORMANCE IMPACT ON QUERY OR NOT.

PLS I WANT TO CLEAR THAT ACTUALY I ALWAYS USE INT WHEN I WANT TO STORE NUMBERIC(INT) DATA.
    ONE FELLOW TOLD ME THAT NEVER USE INT. ALWAYS USE CHAR. IT IS GOOD PRACTICE. OTHERWISE U WILL FACE SO MANY PROBLEM IN FEATURE. IS IT CORRECT???????????

I REPLY HIM THAT ONLY BECAUSE OF PERFORMANCE I USE INT INSTEAD OF CHAR.

THANKS
    DHIRAJ

A lot of accounting systems treat numbers as text,, sortof. The numeric data is stored in char fields. One of the big differences as mentioned in a previous post is the sorting. As Int fields 1, 2, 3, 10, 100, 101, 1000 get sorted ascending in that order, if stored as char the same numbers would be sorted ascending as 1, 10, 100, 1000, 101, 2, 3 (I may have 101 and 1000 swapped but you can still see the difference). If you have to connect to an accounting system to update/retrieve data that might influence decisions on which datatype to use. Personally I prefer the int value.