Unanswered: Global differences between Oracle/Sybase/Informix ?

Since we have a project about orientated databases I'm looking for some global differences between Oracle Database, Sybase and Informix. I already found that Oracle has many SQL languages and Sybase only one. I was wondering if anybody could tell me some other differences. Thnx in advance.
    Last edited by MagicMark; 02-09-04 at 05:35.

Provided Answers: 1

Re: Global differences between Oracle/Sybase/Informix ?

"Oracle has many SQL languages"? That's news to me!

And you call yourself moderator ? Anyway I did find the site with google and it said that oracle uses SQL plus, PL/SQL, Oracle SQL and another couple and that sybase only uses one.

But don't you have any usefull information?

Originally posted by MagicMark
    And you call yourself moderator ? Anyway I did find the site with google and it said that oracle uses SQL plus, PL/SQL, Oracle SQL and another couple and that sybase only uses one.

That in fact is not an accurate statement. SQL PLUS is not a language - it is simply the front-end interface to the database. It comes with Oracle, but is not a programming language.

Oracle does in fact have its own brand of SQL, but in honesty, it does not differ too much from ANSI (standard) SQL. If you are going to learn anything about Oracle, you do need to know SQL.

PL/SQL is simply the programming extension of Oracle. It allows you to include your own logic, and more advanced interaction with the database. However, SQL is the main element of PL/SQL - if you do not know SQL well, PL/SQL is useless.

To be honest, if you only learned SQL, you could still be very effective with Oracle. Most reports you will produce will only use SQL, and its more efficient than PL/SQL as well.

Although I dont know much about Sybase, I am certain that it allows for some kind of programming similar to PL/SQL.

Hope that helps!

Provided Answers: 1
    Originally posted by MagicMark

• "SQL Plus" is a user interface to Oracle, where you can run SQL statements among other things
    • "PL/SQL" is an Oracle-specific programming language in which SQL can be embedded - analogous to Transact SQL or T/SQL used by Sybase(?)
    • "SQL" is the Structured Query Language used by Oracle, Sybase, Informix, etc. (of course, with differences).

There is only one "SQL language" used by Oracle!

I don't have any information that compares Oracle with other DBMSs, no. Maybe someone else has - I know I have seen "Oracle v. XXX" documents in the past. Come to think of it, I think I have seen the article you are refering to, where some fool claims that Oracle is a mess because it has 3 different "languages" to learn, and then lists "SQL Plus" as one of the languages!

Come to think of it, I think I have seen the article you are refering to, where some fool claims that Oracle is a mess because it has 3 different "languages" to learn, and then lists "SQL Plus" as one of the languages!
    Hehe well, anyway, thnx for the explanation