Unanswered: attaching DB using single MDF file

Hi there,
    I'm trying to attach a DB using a single MDF file. The file was not properly detached as our server had crashed suddenly neither was the a proper backup done..When I try to attach it says
    "the file you've specified is not a valid sql server database file" . But another database was restored using a MDF file without any problems ?
    Please do get back if anyone may get what the problem likely is ? It'd be of great help. Let me know if my problem was clear or if I've to put it in a different fashion.

Cheers
    Ganesh

Re: attaching DB using single MDF file

Originally posted by gans_sr
    Hi there,
    I'm trying to attach a DB using a single MDF file. The file was not properly detached as our server had crashed suddenly neither was the a proper backup done..When I try to attach it says
    "the file you've specified is not a valid sql server database file" . But another database was restored using a MDF file without any problems ?
    Please do get back if anyone may get what the problem likely is ? It'd be of great help. Let me know if my problem was clear or if I've to put it in a different fashion.

Cheers
    Ganesh
    what do u mean by
    other database was restored using a MDF file without any problems ?
    was it the same file which u r trying to restore again??
    to me it seems that the database file is corrupted and u will have to look for the most recent backup for the database.

Harshal,
    Its not the same file and its a differnt one . I also reckon it could be corrupt, but do you think it can be repaired by any chance ?
    About backup, somehting had happened to hte server it seems , may be some virus and it stopped job schedule on sql server also.
    Thanks for any ideas
    Ganesh

Originally posted by gans_sr
    Harshal,
    Its not the same file and its a differnt one . I also reckon it could be corrupt, but do you think it can be repaired by any chance ?
    About backup, somehting had happened to hte server it seems , may be some virus and it stopped job schedule on sql server also.
    Thanks for any ideas
    Ganesh
    In that case u r in a real problem! I haven't heard of repairing a corrupt database file yet.The only solution that I see is to get the latest workable backup from the backup sets and restore them. I hope you have some backups before the job stopped running.
    and also once every thing is running, do configure an alert for all the jobs so that their status is mailed to u every time they run.
    regards,
    Harshal.

Thanks Harshal .Looks like thats the only option available now.