Thread: Exporting files

Unanswered: Exporting files

Hi all,

I've got a problem exporting to limited text width. Under the specification name, I don't know what to put in to make it run.... Please help me!!!!

Provided Answers: 1

Re: Exporting files

Originally posted by zsl_3
    Hi all,

I've got a problem exporting to limited text width. Under the specification name, I don't know what to put in to make it run.... Please help me!!!!
    What kind of problems did you have? Didn't you get any output? Or?

Re: Exporting files

Hi all,

I guess it would help to see what you're talking about ...

What I mean was I went to macro, then chose transfertext, then export fixed width,

then under the transfer type, there's this thing called specification name but I don't know what to type... But without this, the macro can't run.... So what should I do?

What I mean was I went to macro, then chose transfertext, then export fixed width,

then under the transfer type, there's this thing called specification name but I don't know what to type... But without this, the macro can't run.... So what should I do?
    ExportType denotes the resulting export file, if you need Excel file then use the acFormatXLS , while acFormatTXT if you export for text files.

Try to use the following statement

DoCmd.OutputTo acOutputTable, "YorTable2Export" , acFormatXLS, "c:\Temp\yourXLoutputFile.xls"

Hi,

I tried entering your statement but it gives the same result, that is, when I click on run, then the following pops out:

The text you entered isnt an item in the list. Select an item from the list, or enter text that matches one of the listed items.

However, there's no list for me to select under the Specification Name. How??? It's very urgent....

Must I manually create the schema.ini file?? If so, how should I go about doing it?

Must I manually create the schema.ini file?? If so, how should I go about doing it?
    You should replace the "YorTable2Export" with the name of your table to be exported alos "c:\Temp\yourXLoutputFile.xls" to any valied file name

Hi,

I've tried doing what you taught me, but the same error message still pops out. Erm, how? This is very urgent...

Hi,

I've tried doing what you taught me, but the same error message still pops out. Erm, how? This is very urgent...
    Here is an Example, I tested it and functions by me on Office 97, should also function by you.

It imports a table called zz_Feirtage to the directory d:\Temp under a file name called myTest.xls

Good luck, have to go now.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi,

but you didn't use a macro... I don't quite understand how you did it...

I need a macro so that I can have it on my switchboard. That is to say, once I open this database, I want to be able to click from my switchboard, the export to text file button, then it will automatically export my table to the designated destination....

It's urgent so I won't get into too many details...
    If you want to create an export specification... do this...

-Go to your tables/queries tab in the database window...
    -Right click on the table/query you want to export and select "Save As Export"
    - Select "To an External File or Database"
    - The Browse window should open... Create a file name in the correct location and select Text File as the "Save As Type"
    - As soon as you click Export the Text Wizard should open...
    - Follow the wizard screens and make sure it's doing fixed width and splitting the fields correctly, etc...
    - When you get to the "Export To File" page, click on the Advanced button on the bottom left...
    - You'll see that the new window is called YourTableOrQueryName Export Specification... Make any changes you want and click Save As...

After you OK out of there and click Finish... go back to the macro you were trying to create... You'll see that you now have an export specification to choose from in the drop down list...

HTH