Unanswered: NZ not working for me...

I have the following statement in a subform:

=NZ(Query!Jan,0)

The problem is, if there is no data in that query for the month of Jan its giving me a #Error, it should give me a 0 right? In the subform there are 5 different query catagories on the x axis and on the y axis is JAN - Dec. If there is data in the month of Jan for 1 query it will show the number for JAN and Feb-Dec will show 0's (because no data has been entered for Feb-Dec). If there is no data for Jan in it will give me the #error for Jan-Dec. I tried do a +0 to after the ( ), to see if it would add 0, but that doesn't work either. Has anyone had this issue before?

Provided Answers: 5
    try "0" if this is not a true integer field it is a string

Thanks for the suggestion, but I've tried "0" as well, but it doesn't work. Btw, the queires that are giving the #Error do not have any data in them.

Provided Answers: 5
    I did not really look before but the syntax is does not seem to be correct

NZ(Query!Jan,0)

you need to to maybe do a dlookup and then handle the nulls within that function

suppose ytou are looking for a value in a query and if that value is null you want to return a zero

dim x integer 'if this a number field
    x = nz(dlookup("[myfiled]","myquery", _
    & " myid = forms!myformname!myfiield"),0)

this function looks for a value in a field where the id criteria is equivalent to the id on a field on a form. If the value is null a
    zero (0) is returned

I hope this helps

OR
    You could just add the Nz() functions in the field design of the query itself... That's how I normally do it...

Just a thought...

In my query I have the following exp: Expr1: Format([Issue Date],"mmm"), so I can get Jan - Dec. I tried the following, Expr1: NZ(Format([Issue Date], "mmm"),0)+0. Put the +0 on there because for some reason NZ(expr, 0) won't return a 0, and adding a +0 will. I tried that in the query and I'm still getting a #Error. Even tried it with the NZ expression in the query and the form just stating =Query!Jan. Still get the #Error.
    Last edited by Decemuirs; 02-10-04 at 12:07.

Originally posted by Decemuirs
    In my query I have the following exp: Expr1: Format([Issue Date],"mmm"), so I can get Jan - Dec. I tried the following, Expr1: NZ(Format([Issue Date], "mmm"),0)+0. Put the +0 on there because for some reason NZ(expr, 0) won't return a 0, and adding a +0 will. I tried that in the query and I'm still getting a #Error. Even tried it with the NZ expression in the query and the form just stating =Query!Jan. Still get the #Error.
    Ummm... First of all, in your control source you've chosen a field called "Jan" but in the query you've given the field the name "Expr1"...Does the query return the 0 where you want it? ...in Expr1? ... If so, try setting the control source to "=Query!Expr1 ...

Second... I just noticed... In this response you've said that you are using the expression "Expr1: NZ(Format([Issue Date], "mmm"),0)+0", but in your original post you said "If there is data in the month of Jan for 1 query it will show the number for JAN"... Why are you trying to format a number to a "mmm"??

Ok, figured out the solution. I dropped the NZ expression and did an iif statement in the form. iif(isNumeric(Query!Jan), Query!Jan, 0). Works like a charm. So, if there is no data in the Query it will give me a 0 instead of that darn #Error. Thanks for your suggestions. Sorry I confused you with this post above. Thanks again.