Unanswered: Access Security 2002

I am using windows XP and MsAcess 2002.
    I have created a new workgroup. The database was then joined to that workgroup. I then applied permissions using the Wizard. I know for sure that there is only one adminstrater. The admin is still a user but has permissions except that of a user and a user has no permissions. I have placed the database and the workgroup mdw file in a folder on a server. I have each user join the new workgroup file. I have set up a short cut for each user that open the database and requires a password to obtain entry.

If I go dirrectly to the database location and open the file, it does not require a password and opens up using the system.mdw granting full permissions.

I feel sure this should not happen. If any one has a suggestion, I sure would appreciate it.
    Joseph E Ford

There are other that would disagree with me, but I feel that this is one of the limitations of Access Security. I personnally program into the DB my own security. Then it doesn't matter who I give the DB to, where it is copied, how it is opened, it is always secure ( unless I release the security programmed)

S-

SECURITY

I appreciate your response. I don't know where in the mdb file the permissions are stored. In any case I do not believe I have the knowledge to do my own programing on security. If you have any suggestion please let me know.
    Joseph E Ford

Re: Access Security 2002

Originally posted by JosephFordJr
    I have created a new workgroup. The database was then joined to that workgroup. I then applied permissions using the Wizard. I know for sure that there is only one adminstrater. The admin is still a user but has permissions except that of a user and a user has no permissions. I have placed the database and the workgroup mdw file in a folder on a server. I have each user join the new workgroup file. I have set up a short cut for each user that open the database and requires a password to obtain entry.

If I go dirrectly to the database location and open the file, it does not require a password and opens up using the system.mdw granting full permissions.

I feel sure this should not happen. If any one has a suggestion, I sure would appreciate it.
    Although I am using access 2001 I had used the command line in Access and I believe there is an argument that you can put in there that will logon either a specific user or group.

Re: Access Security 2002

I hope I get this right from memory but here goes.

It is a limitation of Access, but if you remove the Admin user from the Admins Group and remove all User Group permissions, it won't matter whether a machine opens the database with the default .mdw file or not. The default Admin user that opens the secured database won't have any permissions.
    You need to join the same workgroup from each machine that the database is accessed through. If the database is opening to the default System.mdw file then it is not joined to the secured workgroup file on that computer.

I've had no problems other than the annoyance of requiring the computer that has the workgroup file on it to be on.

Hope this helps

Gregg

It's a bit clunky but I have managed to get it to work for me.

SECURITY

I have placed the file on a server and gave access to that file to each user. When they open the database they are forced to use the workgroup file that I created. The admin user has no permissions. This works fine.

My concern is that is anyone open access and joins the default system.mdw and then goes an opens the database file on the server, they are able to open file and have full permissions.

This means that any could copy the file take to any other computer and open the file.

This does not seem right to me.
    Joseph E Ford

Question Re: SECURITY

I have placed the file on a server and gave access to that file to each user. When they open the database they are forced to use the workgroup file that I created. The admin user has no permissions. This works fine.

My concern is that is anyone open access and joins the default system.mdw and then goes an opens the database file on the server, they are able to open file and have full permissions.

This means that any could copy the file take to any other computer and open the file.

This does not seem right to me.
    Have you created a new user that is a member of the Admins group?

Have you removed the Admin User from the Admins group?

Gregg

Cool

I think you have to go through every object in the database and change the ownership and rights, including new objects. It normally takes a few minutes to do this.

Don't forget to change the ownership of the database as well.

SECURITY

Every object in the database as well as the database is owned by the administrator PowerAdmin. I am will look at anything.

The problem is if I open access and join the system.mdw. It will open up the protected database as the admin owner.
    Joseph E Ford

Smile Re: SECURITY

Every object in the database as well as the database is owned by the administrator PowerAdmin. I am will look at anything.

The problem is if I open access and join the system.mdw. It will open up the protected database as the admin owner.

OK. Just as a refresher, I set up one of my databases for security. First I created and joined a new workgroup. I created a new member of the Admins group. I removed the default Admin user from the Admins group. I removed all permissions from the Admin user and the Users group. I changed ownership of everything in the database to my new Admin group member.

Now when I open this database as the new Admin group member, I can do anything that I want. If I open up the database as the Admin user the database will open up and display the database window but all objects are restricted from any activity.

I rejoined the default System.mdw workgroup. I attempted to open the database. Again it would open but restrict any activity for the Admin user.

All of your permissions and ownership are contained in the secured database. Who is a member of which group, users and their passwords are stored in the workgroup file.

If you remove the permissions in your secured database from the User group and the Admin user, and remove the Admin user from the Admins group, then the default System.mdw file will not be able to open the database and access anything.

Additionally, if you create a new database while signed on as the PowerAdmin user, you will be the considered the owner of the database.

I thought that the wizard automated all of this for you. The one time I used the Wizard, it seemed to work as advertised. I can't remember if I fully tested it though.

You should be able to change ownership of anything but the database if you are logged on as a member of the Admins group. See if you can change ownership and check to see what permissions that the Users group still has available to it.

Hope this helps. Anyone that feels that this is innacurate feel free to comment. It works for me, but I may have misworded some of it.

Gregg

security

Gregg: I appreciate you response to my problem. I am in the process of trying to do as you outline, but i am having difficulty. I sure would like to be able to talk to you over the phone. I an sure if this is permissable or not. If this is possible, leave me a time that I can talk to you, if not I understand and thank you in any event for your response.

Joseph Ford
    Joseph E Ford

Smile Re: security

Gregg: I appreciate you response to my problem. I am in the process of trying to do as you outline, but i am having difficulty. I sure would like to be able to talk to you over the phone. I an sure if this is permissable or not. If this is possible, leave me a time that I can talk to you, if not I understand and thank you in any event for your response.

Joseph Ford
    Check your Email.

Gregg