Question Unanswered: Display in find mode

I've got a couple of questions...

1)Can I set things up in such a way that the set of buttons in browse mode do not appear in Find mode...While in the Find mode there is a button which does not appear in the browse mode.

2)I am designing a locker database...so I want to set things up in such a way that if a particular locker is chosen it gets removed from the available lockers list.
    And when the locker expires..ie the time period for which the locker has been allocated gets over..the locker goes into the available list again.

Hope someone can answer my questions.

Re: Display in find mode

1) In FileMaker, buttons can not be displayed "dynamicly", so if you must
    view a form without buttons while in find mode, then you need to make a duplicate layout (excluded the buttons) and script it to use this layout for finds. Which answers the second part of your first question. Sounds like you may already have a second layout which contains the 'mystery' button.
    2) Assuming each record = 1 locker information, create a startup script
    which searchs and finds all unassigned lockers and displays only these at first view. The second issue of re-allowing a record to return to the 'availiable' list can be accomplished by using date fields (start date and end date), a calculating field and a checkbox field.

The checkbox field = an occupied locker (you check this when assigning locker)
    Start date field = enter starting date
    End Date field = enter the expiration date
    Calculating field =if(enddate - startdate = "60",checkbox = "",1)

Your startup search is based upon the checkbox value

Good luck

Originally posted by amit_kapoor

1)Can I set things up in such a way that the set of buttons in browse mode do not appear in Find mode...While in the Find mode there is a button which does not appear in the browse mode.

2)I am designing a locker database...so I want to set things up in such a way that if a particular locker is chosen it gets removed from the available lockers list.
    And when the locker expires..ie the time period for which the locker has been allocated gets over..the locker goes into the available list again.

Rick Knight
    KnightShift Office Solutions and Horse Breaking
    VB, VBA, FileMaker, Access Solutions, Web Solutions

Exclamation Re: Display in find mode

Once again, I find myself arguing with other posters, but the other advise is only half true. Buttons and/or fields can be displayed dynamically only in Browse mode, but most 'advanced' FileMaker solutions never send the user into Find Mode. Generally we will go to a special 'Find' layou and collect the 'search critera' into global fields, then a script will automatical get those globals and perform a find 'behind the scences.

The second issue, I also take issue with the other poster. His method is very amatuer. The 'clean' way to do this is to present the list of lockers through a portal. The right hand key field would need to be a calualcation- something like if (IsEmpty('assigned to'),1,0)

This will automatically update the list at any time without running any scripts or doing finds. It is also very fast.

If yo would like to send me your file, I would be happy to build you a search engine and a conditional portal- free of charge.

If you are intersted please drop me an email it joe@svkingpen.com and I will give yo instructions of how to directly send me the fillw without publishing to the entire world through this forum.

thanks,

Joe

Originally posted by amit_kapoor