Unanswered: A temporary database

Hi !

I use Sql 2000 Server as a database and an ASP.NET application with VB.NET language.

Now I am working with three pages with one form in every page that allows to register a user. To accomplish the registration the user needs to fill all the three pages, but now I am sending the data to the database in every page, so if a user leaves the process before reaching the third page it will have an invalid user entry into the database that I don’ t want. To avoid this I was recommended to store the in a temporary database file. I have been searching information about this but I have not found it.

Somebody can help me finding the necessary documentation to achieve it please?

Thanks

Re: A temporary database

Originally posted by cesark29
    Hi !

I use Sql 2000 Server as a database and an ASP.NET application with VB.NET language.

Now I am working with three pages with one form in every page that allows to register a user. To accomplish the registration the user needs to fill all the three pages, but now I am sending the data to the database in every page, so if a user leaves the process before reaching the third page it will have an invalid user entry into the database that I don’ t want. To avoid this I was recommended to store the in a temporary database file. I have been searching information about this but I have not found it.

Somebody can help me finding the necessary documentation to achieve it please?

Thanks
    I have not worked on asp or any other front ends but what i feel is, u should hold all the data in these previous pages in some hidden variables or something and pass it when the user completes the whole registration process.

I know that passing the data from one page to another is an option, but I think that is better to pass the minimum data as you can between pages. Anyway if you think that is a good option explain me in which cases a temporary database is used.

Thanks !

Originally posted by cesark29
    I know that passing the data from one page to another is an option, but I think that is better to pass the minimum data as you can between pages. Anyway if you think that is a good option explain me in which cases a temporary database is used.

Thanks !
    using database for storing these values will make the page slower since it will have to go to the database three times.Instead, it is very common to use sessions for such scenarios.
    Regarding temperory databases, they are used internally to hold temperory tables and temperory stored procedures.they are used to store any work tables or temperory tables used while processing
    to know more about the temp database check out BOL under System databases and data.

Good harshal, thank you very much.