Unanswered: Lock up deleting field

My friends are running FM 5 on OS 9. They have a DB with a single large table of 175 fields and 15,000 records. When they try to delete a field the computer locks up.

I brought the DB into my computer (OS X, FM 6) and tried the same delete. I let it run for 6 hours before giving up.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for any help.

Re: Lock up deleting field

The time require to delete a large repeating field in a db with 15000 + records does take some time, but not the amount of time you're encountering. That operation should take only 10-15 minutes max.
    It's the MAC system that maybe the the problem (our Mac's have some difficulties with FM). Move your DB to a windows machine and try the delete.
    NOTE: This assumes that your repeating field is not relational or is used by a calculating field. If it is, that could be the problem also.

Originally posted by stauffer
    My friends are running FM 5 on OS 9. They have a DB with a single large table of 175 fields and 15,000 records. When they try to delete a field the computer locks up.

I brought the DB into my computer (OS X, FM 6) and tried the same delete. I let it run for 6 hours before giving up.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for any help.
    Rick Knight
    KnightShift Office Solutions and Horse Breaking
    VB, VBA, FileMaker, Access Solutions, Web Solutions

Originally posted by stauffer

Any thoughts?

Thanks for any help.
    The concept that FileMaker does run well on Macs is a new one to me and I've been using FMP professionally for years. FileMaker Inc is a soletly subsisuary of Apple Computer. I have dealt with databases with many more fiedls and over a million records per file. It sounds like index is corrupted in your file. You could do a 'Save as Copy, or Use the Recover Command.

If this does work drop me an email and I will look at it for you free of charge. I have an ftp were the file can be privately uploaded.

Joe King

joe@svkingpen.com

Originally posted by RickKnight
    The time require to delete a large repeating field in a db with 15000 + records does take some time, but not the amount of time you're encountering. That operation should take only 10-15 minutes max.
    It's the MAC system that maybe the the problem (our Mac's have some difficulties with FM). Move your DB to a windows machine and try the delete.
    NOTE: This assumes that your repeating field is not relational or is used by a calculating field. If it is, that could be the problem also.
    I couldn't try the Windows suggestion as I am moving and all my PC's and software are in a storage unit somewhere. I just kept out the useful stuff, clothes and Mac's.

We had tried the recover under FMP 5 with no luck. I am told that FileMaker Inc. worked on this DB for almost a week when FMP 5 came out and they gave up on it.

I just did a recover on my FMP 6 and all looks good. Guess I should have tried that earlier. Thank you very much.

- Tim