Thread: SQL query

Unanswered: SQL query

Right -I need to specify more than one field in a single query -is this possible?

If not-has anyone got a workround?

Many Thanks-Please help

Re: SQL query

Originally posted by Oliver_No1
    Right -I need to specify more than one field in a single query -is this possible?

If not-has anyone got a workround?

Many Thanks-Please help
    Ummm... Huh??
    I musn't be understanding the question... I specify all kinds of fields in my queries... Can you explain a little further?

Sorry

I want a SINGLE query-

The first design "column" needs to specify that it is getting its data from 18 different sources-as opposed to the single source that the user is normally allowed to specify. For example the field normally states "Field" to which i input Late 1-i actually need to query fields 1 through to 18.

But in all other ways it needs to run as a single query-for example the user is asked ONE parameter question to gain the results.

Hope this is clearer.

Originally posted by Oliver_No1
    Sorry

I want a SINGLE query-

The first design "column" needs to specify that it is getting its data from 18 different sources-as opposed to the single source that the user is normally allowed to specify. For example the field normally states "Field" to which i input Late 1-i actually need to query fields 1 through to 18.

But in all other ways it needs to run as a single query-for example the user is asked ONE parameter question to gain the results.

Hope this is clearer.
    I'm sorry...
    I have never heard anyone use the term "SINGLE query" before...

When you say column I think you're talking about a field...
    When you say 18 different sources, I don't know if you mean 1 field in 18 different tables/queries... or 18 different fields in one table/query (concatenated or summed or something?)?

I'm lost... Wish I could help... Hopefully someone else will be able to...

Sorry about the terminology.

a normal -standard query.

Getting the info from 18 fileds contained in 1 table.

I'm with Trudi on the confused bench (Must be a Toronto thing). Maybe you're looking for one form that can translate user input into data query requirements?
    All code ADO/ADOX unless otherwise specified.
    Mike.

Let me see if I understand you

You want a query that will have 18 different fields, but you want to search all fields for the same criteria you entered in the first column. Thus only having to enter a criteria once instead of 18 times, Correct?

S-

Yes Thats it!

Props to sbaxter for decrypting the request

You'll need to write a parameter query, invoke 17 ORs, and have the parameter be defined with the same text. You'll need to write this because the QBE grid doesn't have the capacity to OR 17 times. It can AND 17 times, however.

WHERE (((tblItemInStores.Item) Like Chr(42) & [a] & Chr(42))) OR (((tblItemInStores.PriceCategory) Like Chr(42) & [a] & Chr(42)).....)

the Chr(42)s are * and don't need to be used unless you are using the LIKE operator.
    All code ADO/ADOX unless otherwise specified.
    Mike.

Thank you very much.

Thats exactly what i wanted!.