Thread: system time

Unanswered: system time

Created a 97 mdb for time card clocking in and out. When a radio button is checked the system time is set in the paticular field: clocking out/in from break.

Is there a way to keep folks from changing the system time for their own benefit, such as punching in a half hour earlier than they actually did? System is on Windows 98SE.

I do have a system tray program that updates the time hourly based on a time tick site, but that will not override someone making changes unless it happens at the same moment the change is made.

I am guessing that the answer to my question is no, but I have to ask.

Thanks in advance.

remltr

If the computer the users are clocking their times with is on a network have the punch interact with another database on the network they can't change the time on. Have it run an append query or something where the date is autodetermined by when the query executes (=Now() as the default value) and not passed as a parameter.

If that doesn't work, you can update the label on a separate database (again, on the network) form using it's timer event, then pick it up from your punchclock database.

If that doesn't work, you can have the punch clock database send you an email message, you will receive it according to your mail server's time (I think), and you can compare these to what has been recorded. Keep in mind that when you do this, you don't actually want to .Show the outlook item to the punchclock user.

Just a thought as I have no way of testing this.
    All code ADO/ADOX unless otherwise specified.
    Mike.

Re: system time

How about setting the forms property to AllowDeletions= NO
    NOW, set that fields property to Enabled=NO(0). Then for them to clock in have a button that actually Enables that field for editing(input) Enabled=Yes(-1), and as soon as you leave that field(AfterUpdate),reset it again to Enabled =NO(0), and finally Saving the record. That way it is set and since there are no deletions they can't go back to get rid of it, assuming that it saves each record properly and can only be added to. Is your database set as just an .MDB file or have you converted it to an .MDE ??? You don't want anyone getting behind the scenes anyway. See what you can do with that and hope it helps out. I have my fields to automatically Enable and to later be NotEnabled kinda for that purpose.

take care,
    Bud

It is set up as an mdb. All forms are set to quit application if closed or the design mode is selected. The only way into the database is with the shift key. Each user must log on with a password to access their time card. Myself as the administrator can get to all of them with my own buried password.

The time fields are set to enabled = yes and locked = yes at all times. The time is set when the radio button is selected and the field that time is being set for is null, then the button is set to invisible and remains that way. Radio buttons are only visible on an active time card (todays card). All buttons go invisible when user clocks out for the day and an invisible check box is set to -1 for punched out. That way if the user wishes to review a previous time card they can do so but are unable to reset times.

The only way that someone can fudge the time is by changing the system time to something that works to their advantage, punch the radio button and then changing the system time back to real time.

The computer is on a network and that option is a possibility, although on weekends all computers are shut down. The mdb resides on one computer so that the early birds only have to turn one computer on in order to punch in on Monday morning.

The ultimate answer to protecting against someone changing the system time, I guess, does not exist.

Thanks for your thoughts

remltr

Win98 is just a little too far back for me to remember.

You could upgrade to Win2000/XP/2003 and set up control panel permissions.

Try the email solution. Presumably not everyone is trying to cheat the company, so you pretty know who to watch.
    All code ADO/ADOX unless otherwise specified.
    Mike.