Talking Unanswered: Attaching Documents to a record

Hi,
    Anybody know if you can attach a document (such as a PDF) to a record so that it will opened and readable. I am trying to attach vendor spec sheets to my database of print vendorts so that I have all their relevant info without having to go look it up or manually type it in. Ideas?

Re: Attaching Documents to a record

Yes you can do this. In the layout mode from menu > Insert > Object and from the dialog click Acrobat PDF. Do the path statement thing and when the object is clicked on it launches Acrobat with the selected PDF.

Originally posted by Soapmuseum
    Hi,
    Anybody know if you can attach a document (such as a PDF) to a record so that it will opened and readable. I am trying to attach vendor spec sheets to my database of print vendorts so that I have all their relevant info without having to go look it up or manually type it in. Ideas?
    Rick Knight
    KnightShift Office Solutions and Horse Breaking
    VB, VBA, FileMaker, Access Solutions, Web Solutions

Exclamation Re: Attaching Documents to a record

Originally posted by Soapmuseum
    Hi,
    Yes, There are severl ways to do this. Look at the sample files for the following plug-ins, Troi File, Waves in Motion FileTools, and Dacons Launchit and may be insidescan.

I've have a solution that I am in the process of adding this control. One added 'piece' that you need to consider is that is is one thing to allow users to 'attach' files, but it is another to make sure that all users on the network can access to that file. The solution I am working on deals with this issue by moving all attached files to a share point with is common to all userrs. The share point is hidden so the only way to move, delete or edit the file is through the FMP interface. Once a record is locked I am also using Troi File to locked the attached file.

A variation of this idea is a document manaagement system in which FileMaker creates the Word, excel, photshop, powerpoint docs. Instead of trying to use the DDE Execute command, all you need is a 'blank'/templete file. Use a plug-in to copy it, move it to a 'proper' location and launch the file. The user doesn't need to 'attach' the document to the database because the database already knows were it is.

Hope this helps.... Feel free to email me with any questions.

joe@svkingpen.com