Unanswered: Help: Unable to install db2 udb v8 on Linux

I am trying to install db2 udb v8 enterprise server(file name is 009_ESE_LNX_32_NLV) on redhat linux 7.1 .

From shell prompt of the db2 install dir i did type ./db2setup, this brought up db2 install gui window. After selecting the install option from gui. This gives a error message as Not enough disk space to install db2. But there is 40gb of disk space available on the disk. I don't know how to correct this problem. Can anybody help me correcting this,

Thanks

Hi,
    Have you tried either of the following:

1. Look for specific errors in the /tmp/db2setup.log.XXXX
    2. Use db2_install instead of db2setup and later run db2icrt and dascrt (to create the Instance and Admin. Server).

I had issues using db2setup for DB2 Version 8 that I didn't encounter in DB2 Version 7 nor 6 for that matter.

I've included URLs that has reference(s) on db2icrt and dascrt.

Good luck.

Cy
    db2icrt:
    http://www-3.ibm.com/cgi-bin/db2www/...n=t0006744.htm

dascrt:
    http://www-3.ibm.com/cgi-bin/db2www/...n=t0006743.htm

Thanks Cy_bais, I did check the db2setup.log and found this, i am unable to understand what exactly is this, can you tell me abt this.

DB2 Setup log file started at: Mon 09 Feb 2004 07:49:00 PM PST PST
    ================================================== ==========

Operating system information: Linux 2.4.2-2.#1 Sun Apr 8 20:41:30 EDT 2001 i686
    To select or deselect specific features, close the View Features window and select the Custom install option.
    To select or deselect specific features, close the View Features window and select the Custom install option.

Thanks.

Originally posted by cy_bais
    Hi,
    Have you tried either of the following:

1. Look for specific errors in the /tmp/db2setup.log.XXXX
    2. Use db2_install instead of db2setup and later run db2icrt and dascrt (to create the Instance and Admin. Server).

I had issues using db2setup for DB2 Version 8 that I didn't encounter in DB2 Version 7 nor 6 for that matter.

I've included URLs that has reference(s) on db2icrt and dascrt.

Good luck.

Cy
    db2icrt:
    http://www-3.ibm.com/cgi-bin/db2www/...n=t0006744.htm

dascrt:
    http://www-3.ibm.com/cgi-bin/db2www/...n=t0006743.htm

Hi,

I did use ./db2_install and came across this error.

[root@localhost /tmp]# more db2_install_log.3665
    yes

no

Disk space needed = 549372 KB Available = 104821 KB

DBI1080E Disk full. Minimum space required in /opt is
    549372 KB, whereas only 104821 KB space is available.

Explanation:

There is not enough free space available in the file system or
    directory.

User Response:

Free more disk space and retry the command.

db2_install program terminated prematurely.

Thanks for the help.

Originally posted by tejpatil
    Thanks Cy_bais, I did check the db2setup.log and found this, i am unable to understand what exactly is this, can you tell me abt this.

DB2 Setup log file started at: Mon 09 Feb 2004 07:49:00 PM PST PST
    ================================================== ==========

Operating system information: Linux 2.4.2-2.#1 Sun Apr 8 20:41:30 EDT 2001 i686

Thanks.

Hi,
    Normally the db2setup.log would have the specific error message towards the end of the log file. If what you posted was the complete text then I don't know... other than try running db2_install > db2icrt > dascrt. See previous reply.

The log you posted was a logging of Options selected within the db2setup GUI and therefore doesn't provide specifics on why the install failed with that insufficient disk space error.

Check in /tmp and do: ls -lrt db2setup* (and then examine the most recent db2setup.log file)

Cy

Hi Tejpatil,
    I saw your post with the error message from the db2setup.log file:

[root@localhost /tmp]# more db2_install_log.3665
    yes

no

Disk space needed = 549372 KB Available = 104821 KB

DBI1080E Disk full. Minimum space required in /opt is
    549372 KB, whereas only 104821 KB space is available.

Explanation:

There is not enough free space available in the file system or
    directory.

User Response:

Free more disk space and retry the command.

When you run either db2etup or db2_install program(s), it does the following:

1. Copy the default DB2 binaries to /opt/IBM/db2
    2. Then later the db2icrt command installs into the instance owner's home directory. For example, my db2 instance owner is a userID called: db2v8 and when I ran db2icrt, it created the instance specific binaries and a "sqllib" directory in db2v8's home directory /home/db2v8.

Run: df -k /opt (verify that the /opt filesystem has space) . It's more than likely that the /opt filesystem doesn't have enough space in which case touch base with your System Administrator and have him/her allocate more space to /opt before you re-run db2setup nor db2_isntall for that matter.

Cy