Unanswered: Not associated with a trusted SQL Server Connection

I am trying to connect to a SQL Server database using windows athenication over Cisco VPN 4.0.3. I recieve the error "Login Failed for user '(null)'. Reason: Not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection" using Enterprise Manager. I am able to connect sucessfully when connecting using a SQL Server logon. I able to connect to the domain and connect to remote drives. I am able to using Microsoft Outlook with no problems.

I am running Windows XP and connecting to SQL Server 2000 running on windows 2000. I have no problems connecting via Windows authenication at work. I only have the problem over VPN. I just recently rebuilt my hard drive due to hardware failure, and have not been able to connect using Windows authenication since I re-installed all of my software. Prior to that, it worked great. Does any body know what might be the problem and what the solution is?

I appreciate any help that I can get.

Glenn

Howdy

Try removing your PC from the VPN registration & re-adding it - it may be soemthing to do with the MAC address & the PC ID.

Cheers,

SG.

Question VPN registration

Originally posted by sqlguy7777
    Howdy

Try removing your PC from the VPN registration & re-adding it - it may be soemthing to do with the MAC address & the PC ID.

Cheers,

SG.
    I am not sure how to remove the VPN registration. I used the Cisco setup program to install the VPN.

Glennn

Re: Not associated with a trusted SQL Server Connection

Glenn,

In SQL 2000 the default authentication is set to "Windows Authentication". You must change authentication to include SQL Server. To do this enter SQL Enterprise Manager. Right click the server name and select properties. Select the Security tab . Check SQL Server and Windows as the Authentication. Click OK and Yest to restart SQL. This should solve your problem.

Ron>

Also this will happen if both multi-protocol & named pipes are enabled and ensure to disable one of the protocol and test the connection.

You should be able to use the server alias to connect to the instance.
    --Satya SKJ
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    [IMG]http://sqlserver-qa.net/google_bart.gif[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by rgehl
    Glenn,

In SQL 2000 the default authentication is set to "Windows Authentication". You must change authentication to include SQL Server. To do this enter SQL Enterprise Manager. Right click the server name and select properties. Select the Security tab . Check SQL Server and Windows as the Authentication. Click OK and Yest to restart SQL. This should solve your problem.

Ron>

I do not have access to this item as I am getting the error on it...
    Cannot open user default database. Login failed!

I am able to use the databse but nothing else... not able to check with SQL Enterprise Manager...

I am able to load the Altiris Console and work on the data, but I am not able to see the Database through Enterprise Manager:
    Cannot Open User Default Database: Login failed

I am using the service account which is dbo of the database (usually) and which is loading MSSQLSERVER and SQLServerAgent.

What is wrong?

I have rebooted the server...
    I have restarted the services

Thanks,
    Dom

The true cause / solution of your problem is beyond me, but I have experienced similar issues with using VPN where there are network confusions between my home network and the one at work (particularly if they both have the same class C IP, 192.168.1").

If you just need a quick fix, try using Remote Console and running Enterprise Manager from the Remote.

Provided Answers: 54
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominique
    I do not have access to this item as I am getting the error on it...
    Cannot open user default database. Login failed!
    I'm having a real problem getting my head around what your real problem is, so bear with me a bit while I try to work that out. The problem identified by this error message is that the default database for the login that you are using no longer exists or your login no longer has permission to use that database.

Can you connect to the SQL Server as an administrator using SQLEM (SQL Enterprise Manager) from any machine? If you can, use SQLEM to open the login that you are using. Check the default database... If the database exists, then use the security pannel to give the login access to that database again. If the database does not exist, then change the login's default database to one that does exist.

If you can't connect as an administrator (for example on a hosting server), then we need to take another approach (unless of course you can con one of the administrators into fixing the problem as I've noted above). The quick and dirty method for working around this problem is to just pick a different database when you connect to the server, but that means we need to understand how you are connecting to the server... What tool and/or technology (DAO, ADO, ODBC, other) are you using that gives you this message?

-PatP

Is it really possible that this thread has been viewed 11669 times?? that must be a bug.

hope dbforums hasn't been hacked!

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan
    I'm having a real problem getting my head around what your real problem is, so bear with me a bit while I try to work that out. The problem identified by this error message is that the default database for the login that you are using no longer exists or your login no longer has permission to use that database.

Can you connect to the SQL Server as an administrator using SQLEM (SQL Enterprise Manager) from any machine? If you can, use SQLEM to open the login that you are using. Check the default database... If the database exists, then use the security pannel to give the login access to that database again. If the database does not exist, then change the login's default database to one that does exist.

If you can't connect as an administrator (for example on a hosting server), then we need to take another approach (unless of course you can con one of the administrators into fixing the problem as I've noted above). The quick and dirty method for working around this problem is to just pick a different database when you connect to the server, but that means we need to understand how you are connecting to the server... What tool and/or technology (DAO, ADO, ODBC, other) are you using that gives you this message?

-PatP
    Hi Pat,

Can you connect to the SQL Server as an administrator using SQLEM (SQL Enterprise Manager) from any machine?

Yes I am able to connect to SQL Enterprise manager and all B Databases from any other server A, C, D, ... except the one B where the database is hosted.

If you can, use SQLEM to open the login that you are using. Check the default database... If the database exists, then use the security pannel to give the login access to that database again.

I have tried this by deleting the security and rebuilding it, but it was still not working...

after a new reboot everything is working fine....

Does this means I need a reboot when changing the security?

Thank You,
    Dom

Quote Originally Posted by jezemine
    Is it really possible that this thread has been viewed 11669 times?? that must be a bug.

hope dbforums hasn't been hacked!
    i think it is the number of users connected (not really the ones opening the thread) when this thread is in the Top 10 of the last created/modified threads if it is working the same way as some other web sites.

Provided Answers: 54
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominique
    after a new reboot everything is working fine....

Does this means I need a reboot when changing the security?
    Weird. I know that I don't need to do anything, security changes take effect immediately, with no action required once the change has been made.

For the moment I'm willing to write this off under "things that go bump in the night" but I can't explain it. If you run into any more problems, this probably deserves a closer look, but if this is a one time shot then I'd just forget about it.

-PatP

Provided Answers: 1
    Perhaps he just need to restart the service after changing security.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Thanks everybody, after the week-end it is still runiing cross-fingers

Dom