Thread: Insert

Unanswered: Insert

Here's my queries:

INSERT INTO Bills (Cust_ID) SELECT Customers.Cust_ID FROM Customers WHERE Customers.Bill_Cycle_ID = "1"

and

INSERT INTO Item_Billing_Link (Product_ID) SELECT Products.Product_ID FROM Products WHERE Products.Recurring = "yes" AND Products.Cust_ID = "?"

My question...how can I do this without having to manually go thru and enter each customer in the second query that was selected in the first query?

Re: Insert

Originally posted by Jen76
    Here's my queries:

INSERT INTO Bills (Cust_ID) SELECT Customers.Cust_ID FROM Customers WHERE Customers.Bill_Cycle_ID = "1"

and

INSERT INTO Item_Billing_Link (Product_ID) SELECT Products.Product_ID FROM Products WHERE Products.Recurring = "yes" AND Products.Cust_ID = "?"

My question...how can I do this without having to manually go thru and enter each customer in the second query that was selected in the first query?
    I suppose you could load the recordset into a separate array, and then use a loop to stick them back into the other table.

in general, there is almost always an sql solution which makes looping unnecessary, and this is true in this case as well
    Code:
    insert 
      into Item_Billing_Link 
         ( Product_ID
         ) 
    select Products.Product_ID 
      from Customers 
    inner
      join Products 
        on Customers.Cust_ID = Products.Cust_ID
     where Customers.Bill_Cycle_ID = '1' 
       and Products.Recurring = 'yes'
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Wonderful! Thanks Guys!!!

Also...in the first query when the cust_id is entered into the bills table the bill_id auto increments. I know I can use "last_insert_id" but it only grabs the first id not all of the id's if there's more than one. Is there a way to grab all id's just created in order to again insert into the item_billing_link table along with the product_id.