Question Unanswered: limit to the number of rows a dataset can store?

hI,

I am using visual c# 2003 and sqlserver 2000 and i am trying to query a column in the sql server and store it into a dataset but i got an error msg:

The number of rows for this query will output 90283 rows.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Query :

SELECT L_ExtendedPrice, COUNT (*) AS Count FROM LINEITEM GROUP BY L_ExtendedPrice ORDER BY Count DESC";

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Error msg :

An unhandled exception of type 'System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException' occurred in system.data.dll

Additional information: System error.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

is there a limit to the number of rows a dataset can store?

That's a lot of rows.....

Can I ask what you plan to do with them?

And it's not really a sql server question....
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

Re: limit to the number of rows a dataset can store?

hi,

It is because I am a university student and i am doing my final year project on querying and i need these data to proceed on. I am researching on Small Group Sampling.

I was thinking that i am using sql server 2000 and maybe i can post this question in here as I am really in need of help for this.

thks

Whatever you thought you wanted to do with the "dataset", why don't you want to do it on the server? All this "C#" and stuff is good, but only when used appropriately. Having a front-end with 90K+ rows is not a good idea, unless it's a report. But if that's the case, - it shouldn't be going into a "dataset."

Re: limit to the number of rows a dataset can store?

Originally posted by sunspot
    hi,

It is because I am a university student and i am doing my final year project on querying and i need these data to proceed on. I am researching on Small Group Sampling.

I was thinking that i am using sql server 2000 and maybe i can post this question in here as I am really in need of help for this.

thks

OK, I'll byte...what's your major going to be in.....
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

Hi,

It is because I need to use the data in thwe dataset to do something else. This question is actually related to a question I posted on :

visual studio.net and sql server 02-12-04 22:01

I do not know what is the wrong things that I have done and that is why I am asking how many rows a dataset can store as I got error msg when I run the program.