Thread: Connect Errors

Red face Unanswered: Connect Errors

I've seen a similar post here, however my situation is different.

While I am connecting to SQL server 2000 EE from a different client machine using Query Analyzer it gives me the following error message .

Unable to connect to server >
    Server : MSG 18452 Level 16 state 1

[Microsoft ODBC ][SQL Server Driver][SQL server]
    Login failed for user '(null)' Reason , not associated with a trusted SQL
    server connection.

I can connect to two other SQL servers in the same domain just fine with QueryAnalyzer. The machine that I cannot connect to is also my PDC. It is running Win2KSP4, the client is WinXPSP1. I've added and removed the machine from the domain (at my wits end) just to make sure the accounts are not cached. This is the only computer I'm having these client problems with, no matter who logs in.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Let me add more information.

SQL Server I cannot connect to using Windows Login is also my PDC

I can connect to two other SQL servers that are member servers on the same domain. All servers are running SQL2000EE/SP3a MDAC 2.7SP1 on Win2K, including domain controller.

I can log into the SQL server in question using sa account from the client (which is running XPSP1/SQL2000Tools/MDAC2.7FOR XP.

If I try to add databases using Enterprise Manager from the client, I can add the other two DB servers, however I get the same error when trying to add the SQL server in question.

I'm stumped as the Windows Domain account has to be working as I can authenticate to connect to the domain as well as the other two SQL servers. (I've tried this with a regular user account with SQL rights as well as my domain admin account which has SQL rights.

I can connect to the server in question from any other client in the office using the two windows domain accounts that do not work on the client.

I'd rather not reformat te client and start over as there are other tools (Rational) installed whose license is a real pain to get redone. BTW, all other clients have identical configurations (Rational, etc) which work.

Like I said previously, ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!
    I've tried uninstalling/resinstalling the SQL tools/SP3a, reset the computer domain account (doesn't matter as I can connect to the other two servers), something in the registry etc must have got trashed is all I can figure.

Go to Client Network Configuration on the client where you can't connect to the server from, remove and then re-add TCP/IP protocol. See if this helps, else - try to use the IP of the server while trying to connect, or, try to create an alias using the same utility.

OK, tried removing/adding TCP/IP. Same Result.

Tried connecting to the IP address, same result.

Tried Adding alias with auto and manual port 1433, same result.

I can connect with sa however in each of the above instances.

I'm totally stumped, it almost acts like it is not using a domain account, except that it authenticates to the other servers ok.

Thanks for the suggestions, they are appreciated!

UPDATE:

If I remove all protocols and then go back and re-add NamedPipes, I can login to the problem server from the problem client. Once we go back to TCP/IP, we are back to nothing. I run a trace on the server and it doesn't even show me hitting the server attempting a login until I revert to Named Pipes.

I have no filters or security on the IP settings on the client so it should connect just fine (connects to other two servers using TCP/IP just fine).

Any ideas? I'd like to get back to TCP for the client machine to connect to all three servers.

Thanks again!

...and of course, if I ask you "Is TCP/IP protocol enabled on the server?" you'll say: "Yes", right?

TCP is enabled on the server. I've also removed Named Pipes from other clients just to make sure. My other clients can connect to that and all other servers using TCP. The bad client can connect to the other servers using TCP, just not this one.

It has to be the client machine, I just don't know what it is.

Tried reinstalling TCP on client as well, no change.

Personal firewall was deinstalled on client as well.

Thanks,

Phil

The only other thing I'd suggest (it's kind of primitive) would be to search your client's registry for 1433. Maybe there are some remnants of your "personal firewall" in there that prevent communication with the server...And while you're at it, look for server's name and IP as well. Something has to be burried in there...

Thanks, I'll double check it.

Get this though, I can telnet to 1433 from the client and connect to the server, however anytime I use TCP on that client, nothing gets through to the SQL trace I'm running on the server.

That's really odd. Also, see if there is anything going on in Data Sources. Could it be that you have an ODBC data source that has the same server name, but points to something else?

Checked the ODBC data sources, nothing in there.

Also checked the security options on the client machine, however they are in order as I have group policy on the domain so all computers have same policy.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Go to the server. Register it in EM. Right click. Properties. Security Tab. Authentication. Choose SQL Server and Windows. OK.
    Go to client. Test it out.

Already set to both Windows and SQl auth. Double checked it anyway and restarted server. tested with client. Same response.

Like I said before, other clients can connect using TCP and Windows or SQL auth. This client can only connect with TCP using SQL auth. To use Windows auth, I have to use Named Pipes.

Very perplexing. I've enev uininstalled and reinstalled all of the XP network updates as well as the regular networking on the client.

Thanks again,