Exclamation Unanswered: Weird : -- ERROR 1044 (42000): Access denied for user: 'abc'@'%' to database 'Toucan'

Hi

I am getting the error
    ERROR 1044 (42000): Access denied for user: 'abc'@'%' to database 'Toucan' after restarting server, but I don't understand why.

I use linux RPM MySQL-server-4.1.1-1

** First, I log on as root, I create a user with the Grant command and I give him access to table EntreeTemps in database Toucan

mysql --user=root --password=myrootpassword
    use Toucan;
    GRANT SELECT ON EntreeTemps TO abc IDENTIFIED BY 'def';
    FLUSH PRIVILEGES;
    EXIT

** Then, I reconnect to the database, using my new user

mysql --user=abc --password=def
    use Toucan;
    SELECT * FROM EntreeTemps;

** So far, everything works very well, I am able to obtain my data.

** BUT ...

** Then, if I restart the MySQL Server daemon (I restart the service) and I connect with this line :

mysql --user=abc --password=def

** so far ok...

use Toucan;

** THEN I get the ERROR 1044 (42000): Access denied for user: 'abc'@'%' to database 'Toucan'. I am unable to use the database Toucan !!!

** It used to work with the previous version, the 4.1.0-0

** Any clue why this happens??? I have the feeling the system doesn't read the table tables_priv where the granted privileges are stored ...
    Last edited by Toucan; 02-11-04 at 15:36.

Re: Weird : -- ERROR 1044 (42000): Access denied for user: 'abc'@'%' to database 'Tou

I ran similar permissions on my machine (same MySQL version) and got access denied errors as well. I then tried to connect from another machine and got in. What allowed me to be able to connect from the local machine was to grant the user abc@localhost the same privileges:
    Code:
    +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    | Grants for abc@localhost                                                          |
    +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    | GRANT USAGE ON *.* TO 'abc'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY PASSWORD '7b16b68b22ae3ab6' |
    | GRANT SELECT ON `toucan`.`entreetemps` TO 'abc'@'localhost'                       |

No, that's not the problem ...

Originally posted by aus
    I ran similar permissions on my machine (same MySQL version) and got access denied errors as well. I then tried to connect from another machine and got in.
    Well, this is not the case for me. I tried to connect from remote machine, and I got the same result. I tried the code you suggested me, but it gave me no result. - I insist on the fact that I needed to restart the MySQL server daemon to get the problem.

I granted rights on a specific table of the database (recorded in tables_priv), but I didn't grant rights on the database itself specifically.

When I call the command "use Toucan", I though the server checks the mysql.db table, and if record is not found, then checks in mysql.tables_priv. It did in previous version. But now, it seems that it only checks the "mysql.db" table, so the granted rights I granted on EntreeTemps are ignored...