Angry Unanswered: Object or Class does not support the set of events

When I create this MSAccess DB and send it to our customer who is running Access Runtime, when they try to open it they see..

"The expression On Open you entered as the event property setting produced the following error: Object or class does not support the set of events."

"The expresssion may not result in the name of a macro, the name of a user-defined function, or [Event Procedure],
    "There may have been an error evaluating the function, event, or macro.

We cannot recreate this on our pcs- the database works just fine. We are running Access 2000 on a 98 Machine and they are on MS Access Runtime on a 98 machine.

I am assuming this has something to do with the ocx files but I don't know Runtime. Can anyone help me?

Thanks!
    Kelly

This could be anything wrong in the references or a null return in your code somewhere.

Runtime usually crashes on Nulls, so most likely it is a reference error.

You should use the runtime dependancy walker to see if you have colelcted all the required files and then rent a test machine with a clean 98 on it to test your install on.

HTH

I beleive that this is a reference issue. How can I tell the customers Access helpdesk to troubleshoot this issue? Tell them to use that walker? I'm not familiar with runtime.

Thanks!

Originally posted by dynamictiger
    This could be anything wrong in the references or a null return in your code somewhere.

Runtime usually crashes on Nulls, so most likely it is a reference error.

You should use the runtime dependancy walker to see if you have colelcted all the required files and then rent a test machine with a clean 98 on it to test your install on.

HTH
    "If you are good you will be assigned all the work. If you are really good you will get out of it."

This is not possible to diagnose on a runtime issue, to my knowledge. The best I can suggest is repackaging and testing on a clean machine until all works properly.

I gave up using packaging wizard a while ago. I think there is a button something about dependant files. It is fairly self explanatory.

1) Maybe you use a references that isn't installed at the client PC?
    see references included in you project.
    2) try to send a sample apps with test codes to your client to find runtime error source.
    MDB, ADP <-> MS SQL + VBA, ADO & RDO, .NET, Oracle, Java/Jsp.

Reference issues

Hi

I have a related query.

I've built an Access 2000 db using my XP machine with Access 2002.

The client only runs Access 2000 with libary 9.0.

My PC used reference library 10.0 when buidling the db and now some of the calls on the client's PC won't work.

Can I upload 10.0 to the client for them to reference or do I have to recode in VB?

Thanks

Mark

not shure about Access Runtime package, but in Standart Access there is no problem to run code compiled on Access10/11 on an Access9 if you have format Access2000. I mean that Microsoft Access Object Library can be reattached dinamcially acording Access version on clients PC. but is there any other not standart references exept that?
    standart references are:
    Visual Basic for Access;
    Microsoft Access xx Object Library;
    Microsoft DAO3.6 Object Library;
    Microsoft AciveX Data Objects 2.1 Library.

is there any other references checked?

can the client open any Access app you made (even without any code)?
    Last edited by Kakha; 02-12-04 at 07:04.

It's saying the comdlg32.ocx is missing but when I have them browse for it, it's in the proper folder. It is working fine on our end...and we don't have a machine with Access runtime to recreate this issue. We are unable to recreate. how can I get their machine to find the ocx file that it claims is missing....I think that's what is causing the problem.

Originally posted by Kakha
    1) Maybe you use a references that isn't installed at the client PC?
    see references included in you project.
    2) try to send a sample apps with test codes to your client to find runtime error source.
    "If you are good you will be assigned all the work. If you are really good you will get out of it."

Did you have them register the common dialog control?

Originally posted by Yildirim
    Did you have them register the common dialog control?
    It's in their Windows/System Folder...what else do they have to do...how do they "register" it? Thanks!

Well, I'm thinking that the common dialog control is an activex control. They would register it by going to Tools - ActiveX Control - Register and then browse for the comdlg32.ocx file.

1) do you really need comdlg32? this ActiveX contains file browser and other tools. if not just remove it from references;
    2) to register OCX you can use for example regocx tool that is supplied with MS VB5.0/6.0

Yeah, I'm removing it right now and testing it. I actually removed quite a few...i'm only keeping the 4 that were mentioned in the post above. Thanks for the help!

Originally posted by Kakha
    1) do you really need comdlg32? this ActiveX contains file browser and other tools. if not just remove it from references;
    2) to register OCX you can use for example regocx tool that is supplied with MS VB5.0/6.0

Apparently we had an Active X control on the form that was using the comdlg32.ocx reference. We have an import command button that allows the user to file browse and import files. Little did we know that the Active X control was looking for that reference on the "On Open" event instead the the Button Click event. Apparently the user does not have that reference registered. I tried to register on my end, just to test out the registering process, and it ended up giving me a dll error when I tried to view the code. We are giving up and just taking the functionality away to import. I don't really understand how registering works and why when I register it still says Missing under the comdlg32.ocx file.