Question Unanswered: Need to grab the first 5 characters from a memo field

I have a table with four fields, an ID field, a part number field, a catalog number field, and then a memo field. The first five characters of the memo field are a third part number, which when displayed with the other two part numbers tells my employees the exact configuration of the system they are working on. Is there anyway to extract that info? The end goal is to have a report where the employee can enter in some info, and print out a report with the three part numbers on it. Thanks.

Jason

Smile Re: Need to grab the first 5 characters from a memo field

Originally posted by nosownatl
    I have a table with four fields, an ID field, a part number field, a catalog number field, and then a memo field. The first five characters of the memo field are a third part number, which when displayed with the other two part numbers tells my employees the exact configuration of the system they are working on. Is there anyway to extract that info? The end goal is to have a report where the employee can enter in some info, and print out a report with the three part numbers on it. Thanks.

Jason
    Do you want to do this in a query or in a form with code or what?

If you base your report on a parameter query to get the info the employees will enter you can get the characters from the memo field by using the Left function. In one of the query design grid cells, type the name you want to call this information and then a colen then type Left([name of the memo field] , 5)

Ex.
    5 Char Field: Left([MemoField], 5)

You can use this field in the report just like any field from a table.

Hope this helps.

Gregg