Red face Unanswered: DTS Packages are not working as job

Hello,

I scheduled a dts package and it created automatically a job but the job fails with following error :
    (reason: The system cannot find the file specified).

dts package is connecting the databases which exist on the server and I created this dts package on the same server as user sa.

I don't use a file as a data source or for something else in the package.

Server is SQL 2000 with SP3 and operating system is win2k.

I hope there is someone who has an idea...

elif

Re: DTS Packages are not working as job

Elif:

What EXACTLY is you package doing? In other words, are you using ActiveX + VBS to create and Run the job?

RobbieD
    Sunny Times...

Re: DTS Packages are not working as job

My package is copying a database into another one and changing some characters in some fields. I added a vb code to transformations screen for this.
    The package works fine when executed. Problem is scheduling. I want to execute it at night because the people are working one of the databases which dts uses.

If I can not schedule this I have to schedule my own night or weekend. This is ridiculous.

DTS Scheduling

...SO you have already right-clicked the package in Enterprise Manager, selected Schedule Package - but that doesn't work, right?
    Sunny Times...

Re: DTS Scheduling

Originally posted by robbied111
    ...SO you have already right-clicked the package in Enterprise Manager, selected Schedule Package - but that doesn't work, right?
    It worked and created the job. The problem is the "job". That does not work.

I recall our DBA having the same issue:

I believe that the job may need to be scheduled directly on the server with the logged in user having admin priviledges on the server. It had less to do with SQL Server but was an effect of Windows 2000.

I may be offbase but that is what he found.

Originally posted by eguven
    It worked and created the job. The problem is the "job". That does not work.

The weather was stormy on friday, so we did not work.
    Thanks for responses.
    I'm working directly on the server and I'm user 'sa'.
    I also prepared and scheduled the dts package on the server.
    And this job does not work.
    I have read something on the msdn related the user priviliges problem with this issue. That's why I did everything on the server as they said.
    There is something else in my problem. I don't really understand.

Dear friends,

I solved by myself this crazy problem. I wanted to share solution with you. When I scheduled the dts package, a job was created automatically. But it uses DTSRUN utility to run the package. This utility can only be run in the "c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn " directory. I don't know why... But there is no path information in the job definition. That's why I recevied "File not found" message. I added this path to job and it worked. No need to be smart when working with a microft. We must just think simple.

bye

elif

You might have removed it from the path variable while making some config settings ... otherwise it is automatically added when you install sql server .. You can view and set the path variables in System properties .. Advanced Tab .... Environment Variables ... No need to blame MS for your own fault.
    Get yourself a copy of the The Holy Book

order has no physical Brett in The meaning of a Kaiser . -database data