Unanswered: updating lookup fields

I've set up various lookups in a table for things like first names, surnames etc. The initial files were not as exhaustive as they could be and as I input more data I am getting more first names and surnames....

Is there any way of ensuring that all the new names and surnames can be added to the lookup file so that ultimately the lookup files have a bigger and ever growing number of names in them....

Also is there any way that I can create a validation process that throws up potential typos based on the lookup file e.g. I type Crhis which should be Chris, just some type of prompt that highlights issues without being to dictatorial?

Many thanks
    pachamama
    www.researchbank.co.uk
    Fortune Global 500 Databank

I am confused. By lookups, do you mean that you have a table that stores names which is used by combo or list boxes to show available names? Or do you use the Lookup feature on tables -- In the design view of a table, the bottom section has two tabs: General and Lookup.

If the first scenario depicts your situation then you can use the not in list event of the combo box to let the user know that the name they typed is not in the Names table. You could ask the user if they want the program to add it into the list for them. That way they become the dictators and can/should check their own spelling.

If the second scenario applies, check this out first:

http://www.mvps.org/access/lookupfields.htm

Originally posted by jmrSudbury
    I am confused. By lookups, do you mean that you have a table that stores names which is used by combo or list boxes to show available names? Or do you use the Lookup feature on tables -- In the design view of a table, the bottom section has two tabs: General and Lookup.

If the first scenario depicts your situation then you can use the not in list event of the combo box to let the user know that the name they typed is not in the Names table. You could ask the user if they want the program to add it into the list for them. That way they become the dictators and can/should check their own spelling.

If the second scenario applies, check this out first:

http://www.mvps.org/access/lookupfields.htm
    Thanks for helping... I'm confused too! Not sure of the correct technical terminology?

Main table in database has relationships with other tables where the first names, surnames etc are stored. I created lookups using the lookup wizard in the table design stage. Now when I open the form for the main table the lookup pre-empts first names, surnames etc. I want to make sure the original tables with surnames and first names etc continually gets refreshed and updated.

Making any sense? Thanks again
    pachamama
    www.researchbank.co.uk
    Fortune Global 500 Databank

Go to the design view of the table. The bottom section has two tabs: General and Lookup
    Click on the Lookup tab
    If the Display Control is not set to Text Box, then you are using the second scenario from my last post.

The only other thing I can think of is if your lookups or combo box have a row source type f value lists, then change them to get data from a query or table. You will also have to update the Row Source to a table or query name