Unanswered: Setup init error when installing SQL Server 2k Enterprise, plz help

hi,

i'm running win2k sp4 on a 2.4Ghz P4 with 512M ram and 1.5 gigs freespace on my harddrive (more than enough for the sql server client).

i insert the cd and start up the installer. i then get the splash screen, click on "SQL Server 2000 Components", then on "Install Database Server". Then the splash screen disappears and nothing happens for a while (sometimes a really long while). Then an error message pops up saying:

Setup initialization error.
    <some message>

Source: 'E:\<some source>'
    Target: 'C:\WINNT\TEMP\SqlSetup\<some target>'

where <some message> is a differing message. sometimes it's "The data is invalid", sometimes a cycle redundancy check error, sometimes a inpage error...

<some source> is one of the files on the sql server cd, and this also differs most of the time.
    <some target> is the corresponding <some source> in the sql server setup's temp dir.

as well, if i restart my computer and try starting the installer after windows has started up (well, at least all of the sys tray icons have loaded) i usually get an error message saying something about "msetup" having an error and being shut down. it also mentions that there is some log file which is created, but i'm not sure where it's located or what it's called.

i have also noticed that some process called " wowexec.exe" is starts up when the installer does, and keeps running after the installer (setupsql.exe) crashes. i am also unable to end the " wowexec.exe" process and process tree.

i don't think there's anything wrong with the cd, since it looks like it works file on other pc's. any idea what may be wrong?

i would really appreciate any help in fixing this. i really need to get the sql server 2k client installed (particularly the enterprise manager).

tia

Some ideas....

The wowexec.exe is part of the windows 16-bit subsystem - it is designed to stay running to speed up the loading of anyother 16-bit applications that may start, so I doubt that is your problem.

Some things you may try (these are based more on PC experience than SQL server)

1. Make sure you the lateset windows installer loaded.
    2. Copy SQL CD to HD and install from there (I have to do this with my visual studio discs sometimes)

One last thought - you do have admin rights on the box, right?

If you can post more detail on the error messages I could give you more info.

Good Luck.

yes, i have admin rights.

when i try to copy the cd's contents to my harddrive, i get a:
    Error copying File or Folder
    Cannot copy acdata: Data error (cycle redundancy check)

i downloaded windows installer 2.0 and tried installing it and it said that the specified service already exists.

another detail on the errors i'm getting is that some stuff usually is copied into sqlsetup's temp folder, but the installer eventually crashes, and when it does, some of the files copied into the temp folder get deleted.

any ideas or workarounds please?

yes, i have admin rights.

when i try to copy the cd's contents to my harddrive, i get a:
    Error copying File or Folder
    Cannot copy acdata: Data error (cycle redundancy check)

i downloaded windows installer 2.0 and tried installing it and it said that the specified service already exists.

another detail on the errors i'm getting is that some stuff usually is copied into sqlsetup's temp folder, but the installer eventually crashes, and when it does, some of the files copied into the temp folder get deleted.

any ideas or workarounds please?

I know I have seen this before, I just can't remember the fix - it may be a service pack issue - have you tried backing off a couple service packs, then re-trying the install (it's a pain, I know, but for some reason the service pack thing sticks in my head).

IF your not ready to try that, have you run your errors through the search on support.microsoft.com? THey may point you to somethig...

Sorry, but I can't be more help without an actual error message to go off of.