Exclamation Unanswered: DIFF betn DB2 on UNIX and OS/390

hello all,
    i need the information regading the difference betn the DB2 on AIX and OS/390

1.Like On Uxix If we have multiple instances and under each instance we can have several DBs ,to go to the paticulat DB we will first switch to the instance in which it lies ,then connect the DB.......

Whats the concept on OS/390

2.To connect DB the command is CONNECT TO>>>

whats there in OS/390

3.Whats the conect of dbm cfg and db cfg on OS/390

4.If we create a table in UNIX ,it will be automatically created under USERSPACE1...what are the concepts on OS/390
    One of my friend tolad me it will be created in different TS in different DB
    Is it true

5.What are the recomended red books to understand the concepts

1. DB2 for MVS has sub-subsystems. A sub-system has its own system catalog (like a database on DB2/UNIX). There is a concept of a database on DB2/MVS but it is different than other DB2 platforms, and is for DBA purposes only, and a user does not connect to a database. A remotely (from UNIX, Windows, etc) catalogued DB2/MVS may be called a database, but it is really a DB2 sub-system on OS/390.

2. Are you connecting remotely or from a OS/390 program? If on the mainframe, it depends if you use TSO, CICS, etc, as to how you "attach" to the DB2 subsystem of your choice.

3. Some configurations are in DSNZPARMS, but the configuration parms are completely different.

4. If a table is created without specifying a database and tablespace, it will be created in the default database DSNDB04 and DB2 will create a tablespace based on the table name.

5. You should read the Administration Guide, the Utility Reference Guide, and the SQL Guide. The DML is very similar, the DDL is somewhat similar, but many things are vastly different. You also need to be proficient in OS/390 JCL.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Exclamation Diff betn Db on Unix and OS/390

Thanks Marcus for your valuable information.
    I would like to know one more thing... As you said if a table is created without specifying the Table Space name and DB,It will be created under
    default Database , which means we will have several number of DBs
    How these Databases communicate with each other and how to keep track of them , Also that means these databases will be all considered as a resource of one system(eg: like UAT database or JST Database)
    To clear my point I will compare it with unix environment.
    Suppose we are having a instance Db200001 and under it we are having 2 DBs eg: Db1 & Db2 ,Db1 is used for test purpose and Db2 for production . which means they are entirely different..which I think is not possible on OS/390 ,Do we need Two subsytems to have the similar setup or it can be acheived on the Same subsystem..Thx

with regards
    Ashaq

The concept of a database is completely different between DB2 OS/390 and DB2 UNIX. You MUST understand that they are TOTALLY different. On DB2 OS/390, databases are simply administrative groupings of tables and indexes, mainly to allocate storage. A programmer using DML (SQL select, insert, update, delete) never knows anything about databases, and can join two tables in different databases.

On OS/390, a DB2 subsystem is a combination of a DB2 instance and DB2 database on UNIX. Most mainframe shops have a test DB2 subsystem and a production DB2 subsystem (at a minimum). DB2 subsystems are independent of each other (although it is possible to communicate between them with DDF, but that is another subject). Each DB2 subsystem has its own DB2 catalog (like a DB2 UNIX database).

You could have one DB2 subsystem with different high-level qualifiers for the tables (test.employee and prod.employee), but it is preferable to have a separate subsystem for production.

Within the test DB2 subsystem, many shops have multiple environments which are distinguished by the high level qualifier (develop.employee, test.employee, systest.employee, etc.).

At the DBA level, DB2 for OS/390 is nothing like DB2 on UNIX. If you already know MVS JCL and TSO, you can figure out the differences (if you read the manuals), otherwise you will have extreme difficulty.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Thanks marcus..Your information gave me a base to start reading
    I appreciate your help..Thx

Refer to this link to get more information:

http://www-306.ibm.com/software/data...0/v7books.html

dollar

Originally posted by ashaq
    Thanks marcus..Your information gave me a base to start reading
    I appreciate your help..Thx

Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

Arrow

Thx Satya ,Dollar .The links provided by you helped me to understand the archetacture of Db2 on Os/390 by comapring it with the unix environment. Satya can you provide me some links where from i can download some JCL material..

Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.