Question Unanswered: need to access the same table from two workstations

I work as an office manager.

I am trying to give two people on our network access to the same table simultaniously. I thought I had it yesterday I opened the table on both computers and tested it by imputting a record on one computer and then verifying that it was there on the other. That worked

today when I came in the newly input information was not on the second computer, but my test record was.

Any ideas?

1st option.
    if the session is open on a form the form needs to get updated, but to verify the data, you need to check in the actual table if the data is there or not.

2nd option.
    have one main database on a shared network drive and then split the datbase so that any number of people can access that tables.

3rd option.
    have a vb code invoke a refresh to view the updated information on the form.

hope this helps.
    Believe Everybody Trust Nobody

If I split the table will all of the info entered at either computer merge?

Cool

yes it will as far as you make sure that the user version or the desktop version of the tables only linked table to the source. The main tables will only be on the network drive database. This way the exclusive opening (multi user access) option also gets taken care of.

Thanks that is what I wanted to hear!

Thumbs up

you are welcome

ooo, I am trying to do the same thing.

So how *exactly* does one achieve option 2?

Cool

well the way to achieve that is once you have your database setup done and all the forms reports and switchboards are finished you are at the point to start distributing the access database to multiple users. Keep in mind that once you split all the copies of the databases that you make will be connected to the centeral database . follow the steps

1. make sure that the main database that need to be split is complete in terms of quries, reports, switchboards etc.. (as changes in these dont change to the users only the data and the tables do).
    2. main database needs to be on the network drive before spliting, so that after splittig the links reffer the desktop(user) version of the database to the network(centeral or backend) database.

once this is done you are ready to split the database.

1. open the main database from the netowork drive.
    2. click on [tools>database utilities> datbase splitter] in the menu bar.
    3. Now make sure the when asked (save the splitted version ) you specify the exact same location on the network drive where the main databse was. Also just change the name just a little bit so you can recognize the main and the splitted one apart.
    4. Depending on the size of the data the wizard will take its time and then finish.
    5. Use the windows explorer to the network location of the database, you will find two mdb files.
    6. An original and a splitted one.
    7. Distribute the splitted one on as many desktops as you want (just make sure the network location is mapped for them as it was for you.)

this should do the job.