Unanswered: Shared DB on a Read-Only Directory and the .ldb file

Hey,

I'm putting up a database on the intranet and want to make a data access page available to everyone in the company. Since this is on a web server and everyone has access to it, we do not want to allow read/write access for everyone. The directory needs to stay read-only. This creates a problem with Access and Data Access Pages (DAP) because whenever you open either, Access creates a .ldb file. Now the users with read-only access cannot create that file in that directory, and of course then Access claims "could not lock file". Microsoft's posted solution is to open exclusive and read only but that wouldn't work for 2 reasons: 1) too many users and you would want more than one to view the DAP at once and 2) with security setup already, the only way to open the database is through the shortcut (in which case you can't open exclusive anyway)...I think I could fix that one though.

Anyway, if anybody has ANY solution to this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Surge

Why don't you create a dedicated db directory for Access file only and make it read/write. This way no other data on the server will be affected.
    I won't byte... hard!

Well, wouldn't that allow them to post other data to the directory as well...not just the .ldb file. I would put a size restriction on the directory, so that people wouldn't think of it as a public folder; however, we all know that with Microsoft Access when you update/append/delete tables, the DB expands like crazy until you compact the database. Putting a restriction on the directory size would then probably not work, unless the person who's going to update it weekly/monthly downloads it, updates it, and replaces the old one on the site. Is there a better solution than that?

Thanks,
    Surge

Try this:

Keep the directory read/write.
    Write a small shell script (for a Unix server) or a batch file (Windows server) to delete all the files from the directory accept the db and .ldb
    You can keep it running as a cron job (Unix) or a process (NT, 2k, XP...) triggering the clean up at a certain time intervals. This way you'll keep the directory clean from users' posted junk.
    Last edited by The Byte; 02-16-04 at 09:53.
    I won't byte... hard!