Red face Unanswered: access 97 database - access 2000 workstation

Can someone point me in the right direction or let me know if I am on the right track? I have an Access 97 database being used by several users. It has a front-end(forms) and a back-end (tables).

My users have Access 2000 installed on their workstation and are using the 97 database.

All entries are working fine on the front-end and are being placed on the back-end.

However, 2 fields which are automatically created with a new record within the table are either not being populated or get wiped out. There is no code on the forms for updating these individual fields - just a simple "DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdSaveRecord". (I inherited this database of course)

one field has a default value of: Now()
    the second field has a default value of: Environ("USERNAME")

I can tell that Access 2000 doesn't like Environ("USERNAME") set up as the default value in the table, but I don't know why the time stamp fails also.

Any ideas or suggestions?
    Converting it to 2000 is not possible at this time.

Lightbulb

I believe I have figured it out....

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Data..._20845063.html

You could always install Access97 runtime.
    We've had to do this on a load of PCs as there's a few old databases at work from past times that no-one wants to take ownership of and update.
    As they're only now used to look up data and not add anything so it wasn't worth messing about with.