Exclamation Unanswered: New to VB and Access programming

Hi.

I want to learn VB programming and create applications which connect to Access DB's. I have a small home lan with 4 machines and a laptop, I want one machine to act as a DB and file server and have interfaces on other machines written in VB. But when I create the application on my laptop, I connect to the DB fine. When I move the .exe onto another of my machines (VB installed) it connects to the DB fine. The problem is when I run the .exe on a machine without VB installed I don't get a connection.

I have only tried this with a dataenvironment and datagrid on the form.

What am I missing? The code is wrong ?

I have not specified a connection string, etc etc, but don't see why it only connects when VB is present on the machine.

Thanks for any help,

Sounds like when you are just the .EXE around from machine to machine, which means that the machines without Visual Basic will be missing certain files which are needed (a program is rarely just an .EXE and usually needs many .DLL, .OCX and other files), try running through the Package and Deployment wizard which should package all necesary files into one setup package for you. The PDW should be in your visual studio tools directory in your start menu.

Re: New to VB and Access programming

Try out this control featured on download.com that I have been using that has made my life easier in VB, Access and SQL:

http://www.geocities.com/scirocco_ha/DataControl.htm

I drop the control on the form then I bind my controls and that is it. All the complexities of ADO are hidden from the user which is you.

Then I can Navigate, Add New, Delete, Refresh, Search and Save Changes to my recordsets without any other code. That is really it, no other code is needed.

This works in any environment VB, Access, VC++ etc...

Let me know what you think.

Originally posted by msh6565
    Hi.

I want to learn VB programming and create applications which connect to Access DB's. I have a small home lan with 4 machines and a laptop, I want one machine to act as a DB and file server and have interfaces on other machines written in VB. But when I create the application on my laptop, I connect to the DB fine. When I move the .exe onto another of my machines (VB installed) it connects to the DB fine. The problem is when I run the .exe on a machine without VB installed I don't get a connection.

I have only tried this with a dataenvironment and datagrid on the form.

What am I missing? The code is wrong ?

I have not specified a connection string, etc etc, but don't see why it only connects when VB is present on the machine.

Thanks for any help,