Thread: informix backup

Unhappy Unanswered: informix backup

Hi all

I am new to Informix backups. we have Informix and MSSQL running in our organization. and for a particular reason I was asked to take a backup of the table in informix to flat file and load/restore it in a different server ( MSSQL) for the first time, later-on I should take an Incremental backup of the informix( what ever changes done on that day) table to a flat file and load into the MSSQL table daily. Could anybody suggest me like how do I start as I don't have any idea and write me if you know the small bit of the code also.

My informix is running on SUN UNIX.
    MSSQL is running on WINDOWS 2000

Thanks in advance
    sri

Re: informix backup

Originally posted by srbreddy
    Hi all

I am new to Informix backups. we have Informix and MSSQL running in our organization. and for a particular reason I was asked to take a backup of the table in informix to flat file and load/restore it in a different server ( MSSQL) for the first time, later-on I should take an Incremental backup of the informix( what ever changes done on that day) table to a flat file and load into the MSSQL table daily. Could anybody suggest me like how do I start as I don't have any idea and write me if you know the small bit of the code also.

My informix is running on SUN UNIX.
    MSSQL is running on WINDOWS 2000

Thanks in advance
    sri

Hi
    Any Idea/solution for this, may be who knows about the incremental backups

Cheers.

Hello srbreddy,

I believe every default Informix installation comes with ON-BAR.

I'm not an expert on it but you should be able use it.

Here's a link to it:

Sorry not much help since i'm learning also ....

http://www-306.ibm.com/software/data.../6522-pdf.html

No way to do that simply with unload. With a little work and if theres an incremental primary key or something on the table that you know you could do a column>x where x is the last record you saved the first time, then you could do a full unload in the morning and an incremental based on the last record you backed up early + 1.

Before the first save you do you could always select the table into a work table, then unload the work table but leave it in place. Then later in the day do an unload/select from the original table where the records are NOT in the work table - that would give you your incremental. This would still depend on the table structure and you ability to identify unique entities in it.

I have never used ONBAR and use only ONTAPE, but I know theres no facility to due an incremental save (level 1) for just one table. I think thats the real fight...