Question Unanswered: Set value for variable in a declared cursor

Hi,

I have a problem on setting the value for the variable in a declared cursor. Below is my example, I have declared the cursor c1 once at the top in a stored procedure and open it many times in a loop by setting the variable @str_var to different values. It seems the variable cannot be set after the cursor declared. Please advise how can I solve this issue.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DECLARE @str_var VARCHAR(10)
    DECLARE @field_val VARCHAR(10)

DECLARE c1 CURSOR LOCAL FOR
    SELECT field1 FROM tableA WHERE field1 = @str_var

WHILE (Sometime TRUE)
    BEGIN

SET @str_var = 'set to some values, eg. ABC123, XYZ123'

OPEN c1

FETCH c1 INTO @field_val

WHILE (@@fetch_status != -1)
    BEGIN

PRINT @field_val

FETCH c1 INTO @field_val
    END

CLOSE c1

END

DEALLOCATE c1

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks a lots,
    Vincent

I think this approach is impossible because when you dclare a cursor is will be cached and evaluted using current value of your parameters(str_var) and further changes to (str_var) does not affect curosr.

Originally posted by Protege
    I think this approach is impossible because when you dclare a cursor is will be cached and evaluted using current value of your parameters(str_var) and further changes to (str_var) does not affect curosr.

Thank you for reply.

I am migrating some stored procedures from Sybase to SQL Server 2000. The example is copied from Sybase stored proc. It is work in Sybase platform. However, the behavior is different in SQL 2000. The @str_var cannot be further change after declare the cursor. Does anyone know any alternative to work around?

Thanks a lot.

Can you declare the cursor inside the first while, and deallocating it before its end?
    Last edited by jigarzon; 02-16-04 at 11:10.

An error message said that the cursor already defined. But I think it is possible to declare the cursor inside the first WHILE and deallocate it once the cursor is closed. Is it possible to declare the cursor just like a prepared statement and the parameters can be specified after the cursor declared? Otherwise, the declare statement will be called many times in the WHILE loop.