Question Unanswered: Easy Setup of Simple Database

Helllo all,

I am working on some java based software, which will be distrubted among various computers on a network. The software should have easy setup, therefore for the database(s) used I dont want to make it a requirement that the users have a copy of say Oracle server, or Sybase SQL Anywhere.

I plan to use the built in Java SQL, and JDBC to query the database, but am unsure of how to setup the actual database itself. My other option is to code it all myself, using an array/linked list for example but Id rather use a database and query with SQL for easyness.

What is the easiest way for me to setuup a simple database which I can query using java.sql and would I need to assume that all people using my software have some database server software installed (i dont want this!). Doesnt java have something built in I can use, I mean it has SQL support, but no way of actually making a database?

Im not quite sure what to do!

Provided Answers: 1

Re: Easy Setup of Simple Database

Originally posted by mtcmedia
    Helllo all,

I am working on some java based software, which will be distrubted among various computers on a network. The software should have easy setup, therefore for the database(s) used I dont want to make it a requirement that the users have a copy of say Oracle server, or Sybase SQL Anywhere.

I plan to use the built in Java SQL, and JDBC to query the database, but am unsure of how to setup the actual database itself. My other option is to code it all myself, using an array/linked list for example but Id rather use a database and query with SQL for easyness.

What is the easiest way for me to setuup a simple database which I can query using java.sql and would I need to assume that all people using my software have some database server software installed (i dont want this!). Doesnt java have something built in I can use, I mean it has SQL support, but no way of actually making a database?

Im not quite sure what to do!
    There's no SQL built into Java, and there's no database engine either. JDBC is an interface to an external database that has to be set up independently.