Unanswered: Block Transfer of Data

Hi all,

I have written a Java program that performs large queries on a MySQL database. In order to do this I have used a feature of the MySQL driver which alows me to pull back the results in blocks of rows rather than one large object.

Now I am tasked with porting the database to DB2 and was wondering if there is a similar blocking mechanism used by the drivers supplied with the latest DB2 release or would I have to look at a commercial driver? I haven't found much useful information on the web so far.

Thanks

Brian

Provided Answers: 1

Re: Block Transfer of Data

Originally posted by brianhills
    Hi all,

I have written a Java program that performs large queries on a MySQL database. In order to do this I have used a feature of the MySQL driver which alows me to pull back the results in blocks of rows rather than one large object.

Now I am tasked with porting the database to DB2 and was wondering if there is a similar blocking mechanism used by the drivers supplied with the latest DB2 release or would I have to look at a commercial driver? I haven't found much useful information on the web so far.

Thanks

Brian
    DB2 does block the rows it returns but it happens transparently to the application.

You can control the block size by changing rqrioblk DBM parameter and by specifying "OPTIMIZE FOR n ROWS" in the SQL query. Please see "Administration Guide: Performance", "Row blocking" section for more details.

Thanks, I'll give it a try.