Unanswered: 9.2's DBCA not working

Oracle 9.2.0.1 on XPSP1.

When I choose the Database Configuration Assistant from the menu, nothing happens, i.e. the program doesn't start, nothing changes on the screen, etc.

The dbca directory is present in the Oracle home directory, and it has the dbca.cl script in it. I've checked each of the files listed on the command line, and all those are present as well.

I tried running SysInternal's FILEMON to see what that might display, and it showed a few FILE NOT FOUND messages, but I don't know if they're significant or not. The last one it couldn't find, and the only one it tried to find in the entire path, was OsUtils.dll. However, that file *does* exist in the ORAHOME\bin directory (which wasn't one of the places it searched).

So, that got me to looking at ORAHOME (or is it ORA_HOME?). No Oracle-related environment variables exist. The only two Oracle-related directories in the path are the two(!) Java environments Oracle 9i installs.

This install was done using the 9i release 2 CD's, most defaults (the ORAHOME directory is on D: drive instead of C: drive), no errors at anywhere in the install process. At a guess, all the files are there, but something is missing from either the PATH, the environment, the ShareDLL registry entries, etc.

So, in short:
    1. What environment variables should be set for Oracle 9i in a Windows environment?
    2. Does the bin directory need to be in the path, or are the environment variables in #1 enough for Oracle to find everything?

Thanks,

Vince

Hi Vince,

Did you try running dbca from command promt using the full Pth LIKE BELOW.

]$ /opt/oracle/product/9.2.0/bin/dbca (in this case ORACLE_HOME = opt/oracle/product/9.2.0)

in wndows may be like below..

c:\> d:\oracle\ora92\bin\dbca
    Bhavin

MS Computer Science
    OCP DBA 9i/8i

Yes, and it doesn't work either. Note that DBCA isn't in the bin directory; it's a java program, and the script is in the assistants\dbca directory off ORACLE_HOME.

So, I suspect this is still a missing environment variable/path issue. The answers to my original two questions probably will resolve the problem.

Thanks,

Vince

Originally posted by vr8ce
    Note that DBCA isn't in the bin directory; it's a java program, and the script is in the assistants\dbca directory off ORACLE_HOME.

What do you mean by java program? Do you know that all the oracle Utilities and tools are now (Since 8i) written in java program?

In my previous reply, I mean to say that look for the dbca under $ORACEL_HOME\bin if you have Unix/linux SYstem.

But in windows, in your case, look for the DBAssist which is located in the C:\oracle\ora92\bin. (in this case C:\oracle\ora92 ORACEL_HOME. This may be different in your case)

follow the steps.

CLICK "start' button on desktop.
    CLICK Run
    TYPE C:\oracle\ora92\bin\DBAssist
    CLICK OK
    Bhavin

MS Computer Science
    OCP DBA 9i/8i

dbca.bat in the bin directory for windows.

I clicked that on my client and voila, it runs.
    - The_Duck
    you can lead someone to something but they will never learn anything ...

I think everyone is missing the point -- it *doesn't* run on my system. I know it's a java program, I know where the program is stored, and I know it doesn't run. I have given quite a few details on all those points.

I asked two questions in my original post that I believe are the source of the problem. So far, everyone has ignored those questions.

1. What environment variables does Oracle create (or is it supposed to create) when installed on Windows? E.g., ORACLE_HOME, ORACLE_BASE, etc.? What values do they have (I know where ORACLE_HOME points, but where does ORACLE_BASE point?)
    2. Does the ORACLE_HOME\bin directory have to be in the path?

Thanks,

Vince

dbca.bat is different than the file you specified so I thought that might help.

Anyways my configs are:

ORACLE_BASE = c:\oracle
    ORACLE_HOME = c:\oracle\ora81

from my START icon DBCA points to:
    C:\oracle\ora81\assistants\dbca dbca.cl

however, I can also start it through the bin directory as well.

I suggest either re-installing Oracle or upgrading to 9.2.0.4 to see if that helps at all.
    - The_Duck

Duck, are you using winxp? I know that certain versions of Oracle database server is not certified on XP, only clients.

Originally posted by zaki_mtk
    Duck, are you using winxp? I know that certain versions of Oracle database server is not certified on XP, only clients.
    I am WinXP and installed Oracle EE 9.2.0.1 (disk says: Oracle 9i Database) for MS Windows on my workstation. I installed the whole version (not the client) so I could run statspack scripts, rman, and stuff like that straight from my desktop.
    - The_Duck

The missing ingredient seems to be ORACLE_HOME\bin in the path. Once I added that everything worked fine. I went ahead and created the ORACLE_HOME and ORACLE_BASE environment variables for fun (although my 8i instance on another machine didn't have them).

You said 9.2.0.4; I haven't found any patches for 9iR2 on XP. Where did you find them?

Thanks for the help,

Vince

Originally posted by vr8ce
    You said 9.2.0.4; I haven't found any patches for 9iR2 on XP. Where did you find them?

actually on OTN you can download 32-bit 9.2.0.1 version:
    Oracle9i Database Release 2 Enterprise/Standard/Personal Edition for Windows NT/2000/XP
    - The_Duck

?? Yes I know -- that's what I have installed. However, in your email earlier, you said

> I suggest either re-installing Oracle or upgrading to 9.2.0.4 to see if
    > that helps at all.

So I was asking about the 9.2.0.4 you referred to.

Vince

oh ...

you need a metalink account to get the patch.
    - The_Duck