Unanswered: backup Folder structure

DB2 version = 6.1 UDB with OS NT 4.0

How DB2 backup got place in DBBackup or Backup folder ?

Is there any specific tree structure ?

Structure

Hi,

The structure looks like this by default

d:\somepath\%DBNAME%\%DB2INSTANCE%\NODE0000\CATN00 00\DATESTAMP\TIMESTAMP+IMAGE
    For example

Assuming that i run the backup database command to backup the sample database to d:\db2bk today the structure is like this

d:\db2bk\sample\db2\NODE0000\CATN0000\20040217\122 330.001

Now here node0000 is the node number and catN0000 is the node catalog info, 20040217 is the date (17/02/2004) and the 122330.001 is the timestamp and image number.

Hope that explains

Cheers

Nitin
    HTH

Nitin

Ask the experienced rather than the learned

Thanks Nitin, your answer is helping me lots to work on my current problem.

The problem I'm facing as :

We have total 3 Servers - (1) Test (2) Development (3) Production

It was requirment to copy the database from Production to Development.

Every night we are taking backup of the production.

So, I tried to restore from production backup copy to Development but it didn't work out so I thought let me put Development copy back to original.

But due to space problem in the same machine, I shifted Development backup file to other temp. server.

During this suffling, I lost the original time stamp and i guess i lost the original structure of the backup folder as u mentioned. I also got over write the backup file with other backup file ..... !! I messup the backup file it self.

I may have backup on TAPE, if I want to restore from Tape to harddisk, what steps should I consider ? So, i don't face different image problem. Directly to restore from TAPE is not possible, but I can get to my harddisk from TAPE with the help of network ppl.

I hope u understand my problem and please help me with ASAP.

Restore Database

Hi,

Hey I am not sure, on this but if my db2 software and database both reside on d: and i have restored the entire d: from tape then by restarting the box I should have the db up and running till the time I had taken the last tape backup.

ELSE You can try the steps below.

This is my assumption that i am making i hope i have understood your problem clearly.

I have taken a backup of D: on tape. Now I've managed to restore this back. Now I assume that the last backup taken will be present in the backup path assumed d:\db2bbk.

Now I would browse the structure and as i explained earlier get the date and timestamp information.

Assume d:\db2bk\sample\db2\NODE0000\CATN0000\20040217\122

Now I can say db2 restore database from e:\db2bk taken at 20040212122330.

OR

I can restore the database from control center and choose the last backup image.

The last resort is to drop the database from development, take a backup of production and using the redirected restore option restore the database.

This should help.

Regards

Nitin
    HTH

Nitin

Ask the experienced rather than the learned