Unanswered: messup the backup file

DB2 6.1 , OS NT4.0

I was trying to restore from production server to devlopment server.

but it didn't workout so i thought to restore devlopment backup which i took before restoring from production.

Here, I did mistake, due to space problem, i shifted Development backup to other server and i forgot original folder structure so i created folder structure again but date - time stamp got chance. I do have backup copy but timestamp got change.

How to come out from this problem ?

Re: messup the backup file

Do a db2ckbkp -H command on the backup copy you have ... That should show you the original time of backup

HTH

Sathyaram

Originally posted by dingi
    DB2 6.1 , OS NT4.0

I was trying to restore from production server to devlopment server.

but it didn't workout so i thought to restore devlopment backup which i took before restoring from production.

Here, I did mistake, due to space problem, i shifted Development backup to other server and i forgot original folder structure so i created folder structure again but date - time stamp got chance. I do have backup copy but timestamp got change.

How to come out from this problem ?
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

Thnaks Satya, i guess your words will help me lots.

Let me tell you what mistake I did .

We have total 3 Servers - (1) Test (2) Development (3) Production

It was requirment to copy the database from Production to Development.

Every night we are taking backup of the production.

So, I tried to restore from production backup copy to Development but it didn't work out so I thought let me put Development copy back to original.

But due to space problem in the same machine, I shifted Development backup file to other temp. server.

During this suffling, I guess, I lost the original time stamp and i guess i lost the original structure of the backup folder .

Development Database was not allowing me to restore backup copy of the production copy ( I will mention error later on as first i want to put development server in its original state), so what i did , I put the production database backup copy in the same folder where Development server is used to store its backup copy. And then i rename the production backup copy same as development backup copy. I thought this idea will work out, but it didn't work out.

During this renaming process, i shifted original development backup copy to other temp. server. ( due to insufficient space in harddisk)

Rename idea didn't workout so I took original development backup copy from temp. server and tried to put in the same folder but as i renamed production backup copy to development backup copy, system will not allow me to copy the same file name so i did over write. and then tried to restore development backup copy.

I'm feeling so guilty that i messup the original backup file.

I'm so much confused, would u please help me how to come out from this problem ?

Or suggest me, what should I do next ?

Following up to your threads!!

Hi,

Hey I am not sure, on this but if my db2 software and database both reside on d: and i have restored the entire d: from tape then by restarting the box I should have the db up and running till the time I had taken the last tape backup.

ELSE You can try the steps below.

This is my assumption that i am making i hope i have understood your problem clearly.

I have taken a backup of D: on tape. Now I've managed to restore this back. Now I assume that the last backup taken will be present in the backup path assumed d:\db2bbk.

Now I would browse the structure and as i explained earlier get the date and timestamp information.

Assume d:\db2bk\sample\db2\NODE0000\CATN0000\20040217\122

Now I can say db2 restore database from e:\db2bk taken at 20040212122330.

OR

I can restore the database from control center and choose the last backup image.

The last resort is to drop the database from development, take a backup of production and using the redirected restore option restore the database.

This should help.

Regards

Nitin
    HTH

Nitin

Ask the experienced rather than the learned

I'm trying to restore backup file, it was giving me time stamp error so i'm using this syntax through command window - please advice is it wrong syntax or it will go to infinite loop ? I've 6 GB of the databasebackup file to be restored and now its about 10 mintues, restore is running - do u think, my syntax went into infinite loop ?

RESTORE DATABASE TSTSIEB
    FROM D:\restore020604\Tstsieb.0
    INTO TSTSIEB
    WITH 2 BUFFERS BUFFER 1024
    WITHOUT PROMPTING;

You don't need D:\restore020604\Tstsieb.0
    just D:\restore020604\
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

Thnaks a bunch, my database got restored.

Now, let me test the application.