Unanswered: migration to new hardware (server)

I want to migrate my DB2 databases from an old compaq server to a new DEll server.
    We upgraded from DB2 version 5.2 to 7.1 two years ago and we created everything from scratch. We have to much data and to many databases to do that now.
    Has anyone any experience with such a migration? We are aiming at first just replacing the hardware (and later on upgrading to DB2 version 8.1)
    (We are talking strictly about datamarts , there are no applications running on the server, just an ETL-tool)
    Ties Blom
    Senior Application Developer BI
    Getronics Healthcare
    DB2,ORACLE,Powercenter,BusObj,Access,
    SQL, SQL server

We have migrated over 150 database to new servers, we found it just easier to setup the new server, install db2, create the db, and then restore. If the system needs to be available, do an online backup and keep restoring the logs to the new server, and when your old server gets to the point you can shut it down, just send the last log over, and complete the rollforward, This will minamize the down time.
    There are allot more details, but thats the highlevel overview of the db
    David Quigley

Originally posted by quigleyd
    We have migrated over 150 database to new servers, we found it just easier to setup the new server, install db2, create the db, and then restore. If the system needs to be available, do an online backup and keep restoring the logs to the new server, and when your old server gets to the point you can shut it down, just send the last log over, and complete the rollforward, This will minamize the down time.
    There are allot more details, but thats the highlevel overview of the db
    Okay, that seems a sensible way to start. The issue however is how to trick every application and tool in thinking that they will still connect to the same machine. Will it be enough to call the new server by the old name, or should I even swap the old IP-address to the new server?

Do you have any experience with these aspects?
    Ties Blom
    Getronics Healthcare
    SQL, SQL server

As far as I understand, it depends on how the clients are configured ... If the client configuration has ip-addresses, then your new servers must have the same ip address ... If they had been configured using a DNS name , then the ipaddress changes should be incorporated in the DNS ..

Your network admin should be able to help in this regard

Cheers
    Sathyaram

Originally posted by blom0344
    Okay, that seems a sensible way to start. The issue however is how to trick every application and tool in thinking that they will still connect to the same machine. Will it be enough to call the new server by the old name, or should I even swap the old IP-address to the new server?

Do you have any experience with these aspects?
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

Originally posted by sathyaram_s
    As far as I understand, it depends on how the clients are configured ... If the client configuration has ip-addresses, then your new servers must have the same ip address ... If they had been configured using a DNS name , then the ipaddress changes should be incorporated in the DNS ..

Your network admin should be able to help in this regard

Cheers
    Sathyaram
    Sathyaram,

We use the DB2 run-time client and use the client configuration assistant to create connection to the instance.
    For every installation I need just once to configure the IP setting and then I use simply the server name (not the IP-address) and I get a list of all databases available.

In the settings I have:

Protocol: TCP/IP
    Hostname: Nunspeet05
    Port: 50000
    Database: BIKE Databasealias: BIKE

Node options
    System name: Nunspeet05
    Instance name: DB2
    Operating system: NT

Security options: Use authentication value specified in the server's DBM configuration. (which reads 'Nunspeet')

Apart from filling in the hostname everything is set by default with no referencing the IP-address.......
    Ties Blom
    Getronics Healthcare
    SQL, SQL server