Thread: BCP CSV files

Unanswered: BCP CSV files

Hey guys,

Sorry if this is a double post, tried to search but couldn't find the answer.

Does anybody know if there is a bcp version that handles csv files correctly? With that I mean that within the comma delimited file columns that contain a comma that is not a delimeter are enclosed in quotes

So:
    field1,field2,field3
    hello,"1,2,3", bye

BCP will see the second line as having 5 fields, not 2. I need it to import "1,2,3" as 1,2,3 not as 1 and 2 and 3.
    Greetz,

Bastiaan Olij

Provided Answers: 4
    Isn't it an idea to use a different field-delimiter and omit the "-character?

If you use a semicolon instead of a comma the 1, 2, 3-sequence will be taken in as 1 field.

Martijn,

That is what I would normally do but I get these files like this and excel screws up the data big time so I can't use it to convert the data to something usable.

Offcourse I can make a little parser but if there is a way to do this directly with BCP.....
    Greetz,

Bastiaan Olij

... and using a bcp format file (option -f) ?

fadace,

But how do I setup my format file to accurately recognise this situation? Can I define that it needs to ignore , as a delimiter if it is between quotes?

I've only seen examples of it ignore " but then my ,'s will be seen as delimiters and screw up my import.

But I am not very knowladgeable when it comes to format files..
    Greetz,

Bastiaan Olij

Sql

BCP the file as a comma seperated file then update the raw table and replace the doubl quotes with nothing.

Provided Answers: 1