Lightbulb Unanswered: Can PHP do this?

Hi there,

Well ill get to the point - im a university student in the last year of my Computing degree in the UK. For my dissertation i have to create an Auction website. Comprised in this is user registration, uploading info into databases and retrieving data from it i.e. to view the items available for auction, creation of an administrative section allowing for records to be edited accordingly etc. Thing is im fine with all that an understand it really well and have achieved it by using PHP and MySQL.

However, i still have not managed to implement the actual auction structure. Do you think this can be done in PHP? Obviously when a user creates an auction, they put a time limit on it and people bid for the item(s). How would you recommend tackling this problem. Am i strolling down the wrong road by trying to find a PHP solution, would another technology be more appropriate?

As the auction structure will be taking place on the server side, does this have any implications on the way it is coded? I cant get my head around coding something which will be constantly counting down (i.e. the time left) and it will have to register and increment the highest bids etc.

Im sorry for all the questions and realise you may not have time to comment on this, but any help/direction would be so useful for me!

Thanks everyone,

Cheers,

Pete

php auction

hi pete,

why don't you see this http://www.phpauction.org/ .

I still think that ure in the right path.

Regards,
    Celia

Yeah have seen that, but was wondering if any of you had tips or ideas, for example, the timing of the auction i guess when the auction is created i could use a timestamp and when a user views the auction i could enter the current time into a variable and compare the two to get the time remaining etc.

Im not sure about such things as when the auction ends, i want to be able to have an email sent to the winner and the auction holder automatically etc? Any ideas?

Thanks again,

Pete

Using the timestamp idea seems like it would work, for the end of the auction how about setting up a cron job, or some kind of scheduling task?

Matt

Thumbs up

As im only an intermediate user of PHP i havent come across cron so ill look into it :-)

Cheers for that,

Pete

Updating the time should not be a big concern, providing you can use the time stamp to check time on the server. When a user registers and selects a time frame for the auction you take the current time and add x number of days then save this to a ending time field in your database.

When the auction page is viewed this is displayed as the aution ending time with a calulated field to show time remaining (Tend - now = Tremaining) To update the time the viewer will have to refresh the page which re-calcs the Time remaining.

If the viewer had the page open and submited a bid after the ending time, you would return a fault page "Auction has ended, bid not accepted".

If you wanted to show the time counting down you could use Java script to display a counter and refresh the page when the time matches the auction ending time.
    ~

Bill