Unanswered: Return the lastest [Identity] field value

Hi!

I have a question that might sound obvious to some of you but (obviously) not to me.

I have a stored procedure that adds a new record to a table that has an [Identity] field (TableID).

I want to return the value of the TableID of the newly created record. Sound simple ?

Thanks.

Try @@IDENTITY

Note that this will return the IDENTITY value for the table which was most recently updated. Thus, if you have a stored proc that inserts a record into tblHeader and a record into tblDetail and then you return @@IDENTITY, then @@IDENTITY will be the IDENTITY value for tblDetail.

To get around this limitation, you can use another function called IDENT_CURRENT('table_name').

See the SQL BOL for additional documentation.

regards,

hmscott

Originally posted by hmscott
    Try @@IDENTITY

Note that this will return the IDENTITY value for the table which was most recently updated. Thus, if you have a stored proc that inserts a record into tblHeader and a record into tblDetail and then you return @@IDENTITY, then @@IDENTITY will be the IDENTITY value for tblDetail.

To get around this limitation, you can use another function called IDENT_CURRENT('table_name').

See the SQL BOL for additional documentation.

regards,

hmscott
    What about Race Condition ? .. what if another user inserts another record just after I added my record and before I read the IDENT_CURRENT(tableName) ?
    I would get the wrong value !? It would be the latest identity but it won't be the one I am looking for.

What's the usage on this database? If the insert and the call to IDENT_CURRENT are in the same SP, then the likelihood that another user can get in and insert a new record is pretty slim.

Look at SQL BOL, check the limitations for each @@IDENTITY, IDENT_CURRENT and SCOPE_IDENTITY and determine which one most closely meets your needs.

Alternatively, don't use IDENTITY, use a shadow GUID column instead.

Regards,

hmscott

Originally posted by hmscott
    If the insert and the call to IDENT_CURRENT are in the same SP, then the likelihood that another user can get in and insert a new record is pretty slim.
    The [insert] and the call IDENT_CURRENT are indeed in the same SP. But that doesn't garantee that there won't be a race condition, does it ?

I checked BOL and IDENT_CURRENT would work fine .. but I want to be sure 100% that I read the right value.

Even a "slim" chance that an another user can get in and insert a record is is not good enough in my case.

It sounds like I have to do some kind of explicit "locking":
    [LOCK]/[Insert]/[Read latest indentity]/[Unlock].

Any suggestion ?