Unanswered: Insert ... Exec unable to begin a distributed transaction

I have 3 development SQL Servers A, B & C, all running SQL 2000 sp3 and Windows 2003. Servers B & C have a linked server pointing to A, and A has one pointing to B & C. The linkedservers all have RPC , RPC out enabled. I have a stored procedure called test on server A.

Create Proc test

Select Top 5 first_name, last_name from people

--code ran on Servers B & C:

create table #tmptbl (nm varchar(100), nm2 varchar(100))

insert into #tmptbl
    Exec ServerA.db1.dbo.test

When the Insert....Exec code above is ran from server B it works fine, however when I run it from Server C, I get error 7391
    The operation could not be performed because the OLE DB provider 'SQLOLEDB' was unable to begin a distributed transaction.
    [OLE/DB provider returned message: New transaction cannot enlist in the specified transaction coordinator. ]
    OLE DB error trace [OLE/DB Provider 'SQLOLEDB' ITransactionJoin::JoinTransaction returned 0x8004d00a]

But regular linked server calls (directly to tables) and openquery calls work fine from either server...

insert into #tmp
    Select top 5 first_name, last_name from ServerA.db1.dbo.people

--and this works also

insert into #tmp
    Select * from openquery(ServerA, 'Exec db1.dbo.test')

Both servers (B & C) appear to be configured the same, and
    I have reconfigured MSDTC on all three boxes through control panel and component manager, have tried using SET xact_abort, SET implicit_transactions, registry hacks (TurnoffRPCsecurity), basically everything listed on Microsoft, and everything I've been able to find in these groups.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd like to hear them.

Well it doesn't make sense, but somethings going on...

Did you run a trace or look at the error logs?

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

Yep. can't see anything strange in the error logs, and running a trace just tells me what I already know, that SQL is trying to start and join a distributed transaction, but cannot.

Tracing the calling db shows a DTCTransaction event ocurring twice, then the error and exception get thrown. I've tried begin distributed transaction also, but to no avail.

Is there a solution to this problem yet? I have the same exact problem. Everything works fine, until I try the insert statement.

So this tells me Linked Server is working fine. Something about an Insert statement doesn't work.