Thread: Oracle Listener

Red face Unanswered: Oracle Listener

When the installation of Oracle was finished, I didn't see the Oracle Listener services on Services managements Console of Windows XP SP2? So, I couldn't connect to DB (It has error ORA-12541)
    Help me for this problem! Thanks u.

YOu can confiure /create the new listener with the help of net configuration assistant i.e, netca.
    Bhavin

MS Computer Science
    OCP DBA 9i/8i

Originally posted by Hings
    YOu can confiure /create the new listener with the help of net configuration assistant i.e, netca.
    Your ways will create listeners.ora and tnsnames.ora,It don't create oracle listener service.
    I use net8 configuration assistant to creat listener but i can't see Oracle listener service.
    Thanks you for your help!Can you help me more?

Originally posted by secret4all
    Your ways will create listeners.ora and tnsnames.ora,It don't create oracle listener service.
    I use net8 configuration assistant to creat listener but i can't see Oracle listener service.
    Thanks you for your help!Can you help me more?
    I guess it is Net8 Assist on windows.

Start -> Programme -> your Oracle home -> Network Administration -> Net8 Assistant.

When you create listener using that utility, it also create the service for you (on windows) and the service name would be OracleListenerLISTENER if you have used LISTENER as the listener name.
    Bhavin

MS Computer Science
    OCP DBA 9i/8i

oracle listener

i dont have oracle listener in my machine...whether i need to install oracle client or the oracle db

Provided Answers: 1
    Saran, this from the good book:

The listener is a separate process that runs on the database server computer. It receives incoming client connection requests and manages the traffic of these requests to the database server.
    You don't say what version of Oracle you are running - this link is for 10g, but you can always use Google to find the notes for your version:

Configuring and Administering the Listener
    90% of users' problems can be resolved by punching them - the other 10% by switching off their PCs.