Unanswered: Urgent! Sybase crash

Hi!

I have a question about sybase crash. In one of our servers, we had to shutdown Unix box without properly shutting down sybase. What kind of problems it could create? What is the worst case scenario?

Thanks!

Note: I did not see any errors in the sybase log file when I restarted sybase.
    Last edited by SybUsr99; 02-17-04 at 23:50.

the box had crashed and with restarting the sybase processes it is doing recovery which you should be able to see in the errorlog.

Re: Urgent! Sybase crash

The Unix shutdown kills the Sybase process (on the syslogs, this is like a shutdown with nowait).
    The worst case can be a really long recovery process during the restart of the ASE... and a big jump in your identity values ;-)

Hi!
    After this crash, we started having problems with sybase, like it becomes unusually slow after every 7-8 days. If we do shut down, it is fine. But after few days, it again becomes very slow. What could be the reason? Is it possible that some tables may be corrupted?

Which ASE version (select @@version) ?
    Which exact version of OS ?

Execute a sp_sysmon when it's slow, and when it's fast... then compare the both outputs.