Unanswered: Sortheap & Sheapthres.

DB2 : V6.1 FP10

My current value in SHEAPTHRES=200000, SORTHEAP=2500.

For the above setting, what is the max sorts allowed at a single point of time? In db snapshot i could see 700 concurrent sorts.

So as per calculation 700*2500=1750000(this value is more than SHEAPTHRES, how it is possible??). Am i correct in this calculation?

whenever the max concurrent sorts exceed 730, i am getting the sort memory error (SQL0955C).

In this case what are the other parameters i should consider, before increasing SHEAPTHRES value?

Your suggestion please.

Regards
    Prakash

Re: Sortheap & Sheapthres.

I'd suggest youi to read DB2 Admin Guide : Performance under config parameters ...

Briefly, DB2 allocates the SORTHEAP based on the current requirement and not the actual defined value ... If the sortheap required exceeds the defined value, it overflows ...

For sortheapthreshold it also matters whether you do a private sort or shared sort ... (This is true in V7, but don't remember about V6)

Cheers
    Sathyaram

Originally posted by cgprakash
    DB2 : V6.1 FP10

My current value in SHEAPTHRES=200000, SORTHEAP=2500.

For the above setting, what is the max sorts allowed at a single point of time? In db snapshot i could see 700 concurrent sorts.

So as per calculation 700*2500=1750000(this value is more than SHEAPTHRES, how it is possible??). Am i correct in this calculation?

whenever the max concurrent sorts exceed 730, i am getting the sort memory error (SQL0955C).

In this case what are the other parameters i should consider, before increasing SHEAPTHRES value?

Your suggestion please.

Regards
    Prakash
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

Thank you for your help.

I am planning to increase SHEAPTHRES value from 200000 to 250000. If i increase this, do i need to change any other parameter? (eg, if we change SORTHEAP, we must look into SHEAPTHRES also, am i right?).

Currently i have 16GB physical memory. My BP is occupied about 1GB. In this scenario, if i increase SHEAPTHRES, what else should be changed?

Your suggestion plse. Thanks in advance.

Regards
    Prakash