Unanswered: Datawarehousing--DBA Maintenance

Is any doc/white paper available for routine database maintenance tasks (specific to datawarehousing database).
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Re: Datawarehousing--DBA Maintenance

Originally posted by preetikate
    Is any doc/white paper available for routine database maintenance tasks (specific to datawarehousing database).
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    that is a very broad question. behind every datawarehouse is a database. datawarehousing goes and breaks the rules of relational databases by creating it's own set of mapping tables. It is, however still on top of a database.

i am in datawarehousing, using kalido on oracle8i. the admin of the datawarehouse and the admin of the database are different, there is also a host of other technologies in between the mix, web apps, reporting tools like business objects. It also depends on the datawarehouse being used, oracle warehouse, kalido etc.
    rgs,

Ghostman

Thank you! However, I meant something 'related to the database only'
    the backend and not reporting or middle tier or anything else!

Thank you! However, I meant something 'related to the database only'
    the backend and not reporting or middle tier or anything else!
    So you want to know about database administration. that is equally as broad...

If you are not familiar with databases, then don't bother with Oracle, yet. Check out something like Access or SQLServer where the Next->Next->Yes->I Agree M$ wizard will do it all for you.

If you are familiar with Oracle, may i suggest installing a copy of 8i or 9i (available from http://otn.oracle.com/software/index.html)

You can find administrative and general documetation on tahiti.oracle.com

There are some great books, especially those by Oracle press on administration.

Best of luck
    rgs,

Ghostman

Hi,
    I needed soem check list like something like
    1.Managing Partitions
    2.Managing Bit Map Indexes
    3.Managing Materialized Views
    etcs
    since these are particularly helpful in a datawarehosuing environment.
    I wanted to know if there was anything important I was missing while administering my database. Or anything I could incorporate/implement to make it better
    Thanks You

Hi,
    I needed soem check list like something like
    1.Managing Partitions
    2.Managing Bit Map Indexes
    3.Managing Materialized Views
    etcs
    since these are particularly helpful in a datawarehosuing environment.
    I wanted to know if there was anything important I was missing while administering my database. Or anything I could incorporate/implement to make it better
    Thanks You
    To be honest, i don't think i can offer any advice. datawarehouses are massive, the company i work for is global, enormous.... we have remote DBA's, and teams of them, it is full dev, QA & production environment with more instances than i could care to count - there are thousands of tables involved, i don't think it's something i could 'check list', i am involved in maintenance, to be honest though, and purely because of the scale of it all - everyone is very specialized in whatever it is they do.

I hope you find the info you are after.
    rgs,

Ghostman