I ran into an odd problem over the past couple days and would like some input. I'm not a Java programmer, just a DB guy, so if someone can shed some light on the subject, I would appreciate it.
Connecting with OCI drivers
Two days ago the database crashed, not sure why, but I think it had to do with too many connections and too many resources being used. It is being used in a test environment, but doesn't have that much horsepower.
We rebooted the box and brought the database back up. Once this occurred, I could log into the database just fine and everything looked great. However, anyone that had a connection open through Websphere at the time of the crash could not connect. They would receive the java.sql.SQLException: Closed Connection error no matter what they did, bounce the server, reboot their machine....
Everything worked fine before the crash, we just started using the oci drivers and had no problems. I had no problem after the crash and couldn't see anything wrong with the database.
Don't ask me why, but I decided to change a the service name of the tnsnames.ora setting on one of the developers machines that had this problem. After doing this, they were able to connect from their machine through WSAD. I continued the procedure on three other machines to resolve the issue.
I'm not sure what happened and really want to know. I think there was a stale connection out there and when changing the service name, it forced it to get the new name and flush the old connection out.