Unanswered: Changing Field Descriptions using SQL or VB

Okay guys, I need help (if possible)

Is there a way for me, using either SQL or VB or whatever, to change the field descriptions in my Access DB.

I have a database project that is used in multiple locations (each loaction has seperate Data DB) I need to make a massive amounts of data structure changes, due to new system requirements, And I was planning on writing a script, that each location could run, that would make the changes, without me having to manually get each location DB and changing it myself.

The problem I have is they have a requirement that each field needs a description, but I can't find example, or instructions, anywhere that would show me how to edit, or include the field desciption as part of a Create Table statement, or any other way of changing the Field Desciption.

Is there a way to do this and how can I do it?

Thanks

S-

Re: Changing Field Descriptions using SQL or VB

Originally posted by sbaxter
    Okay guys, I need help (if possible)

Is there a way for me, using either SQL or VB or whatever, to change the field descriptions in my Access DB.

I have a database project that is used in multiple locations (each loaction has seperate Data DB) I need to make a massive amounts of data structure changes, due to new system requirements, And I was planning on writing a script, that each location could run, that would make the changes, without me having to manually get each location DB and changing it myself.

The problem I have is they have a requirement that each field needs a description, but I can't find example, or instructions, anywhere that would show me how to edit, or include the field desciption as part of a Create Table statement, or any other way of changing the Field Desciption.

Is there a way to do this and how can I do it?

Thanks

S-
    TableDef collection? I've not needed to do so myself ....

I'm assuming by Description, you are referring to the long text thingy beside the column/field data type definition.

Using ADO and ADOX, the following will do it. I'm pretty sure you know how to loop collections:

Dim cat As New ADOX.Catalog
    Dim tbl As ADOX.Table
    Dim col As ADOX.Column
    Dim prp As ADOX.Property

cat.ActiveConnection = CurrentProject.Connection ' or whatever connection string you need.
    Set tbl = cat.Tables("YourTableName")
    Set col = tbl.Columns("YourColumn")
    col.Properties("Description") = "New Description"

Set tbl = Nothing
    Set cat = Nothing
    All code ADO/ADOX unless otherwise specified.
    Mike.

Thanks Guys, I knew this had to be possible, I will give this a try and let you know how it goes.

S-

HomerBoo

Got the ADOX to work with the Description, How do I change the Validation Rule?

Thanks

S-

Not sure. What I did was loop through each column's properties to see what their names were, then see if I could set the Description. There may be props you can't access.

Dim cat As New ADOX.Catalog
    Dim tbl As ADOX.Table
    Dim col As ADOX.Column
    Dim prp As ADOX.Property

cat.ActiveConnection = CurrentProject.Connection ' or whatever connection string you need.
    Set tbl = cat.Tables("YourTableName")
    for each col in tbl.columns
    for each prp in col.properties
    debug.print col.name, prp.name, prp.value
    next prp
    next col

there may be a syntax error, i'm not infront of Access, but that's how I enumerated the props.
    Mike.

Thanks

col.Properties("Jet OLEDB:Column Validation Rule")
    col.Properties("Jet OLEDB:Column Validation Text")

If you ever want to know

Any buddy know how to change the field format using ADOX. I can't find anything that lets me control it.

S-

What do you mean, changing from text to numeric or changing from medium date to long date within a date column?
    Mike.

medium date to long date

S-

I wish I could be more help, but I can't find anything on this.
    Mike.

Thanks, Maybe someone else knows how.

S-

If any one cares... all the research I have doen has come back and tells me you can't change the field format using ADOX.

S-