Unanswered: ORA-28591 Agtctl and OMS

Hey all I am gonna pose 2 questions
    1st off I am a fairly inexperienced Solaris user, but I am fairly comf with Oracle DBA responsibilities

I am trying to run the agtctl on a solaris 8 machine with Ora 8i installed and it keeps givin me the error

ORA-28591: agent control utility: unable to access param file

where would these param files he?
    do I even NEED the agent running on this machine as I am running the OMS on another machine on the network but it will not discover the DBs running on this machine? Any help would be greatly appreciated. either on this thread or in a PM. TIA

Re: ORA-28591 Agtctl and OMS

Hello,

Check the link below:

http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/...T&p_id=71435.1

Regards,
    Sudhakar

Unhappy

We dont have a CIS # to access that site, could I get ya to email it to me? or copy the neccesary points to this thread?

Hello,

I checked for some more threads but couldn't find any, but this is the only thread which is available on Metalink also and i suppose you might have had the same message, but still i am posting the contents of the error you got:

"Error: ORA-28591 Text: agent control utility: unable to access parameter file
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Cause: The agent control utility was unable to access its parameter file. This could be because it could not find its admin directory or because permissions on directory were not correctly set.
    Action: The agent control utility puts its parameter file in either the directory pointed to by the environment variable AGTCTL_ADMIN or in the directory pointed to by the environment variable TNS_ADMIN. Make sure that at least one of these environment variables is set and that it
    points to a directory that the agent has access to.

If possible could you be more specific about the situation / condition / configuration you are working on currently?

HTH,
    Sudhakar

I will have to check the ENV settings named in that message. As for the situation, we have just upgraded our dev box to 9i and I am trying to get OMS to connect between the new 9i machine and the older 8i that never had an OMS setting, this is what is causing the problem. I inherited this mess and am trying to clean everything up and make it much more manageable.

TFYH,
    Tom

truss the agent startup.
    It will show you what files it is trying to access and any errors.